Geek

CompactLogix Ethernet Remote IO

11 posts in this topic

Dear All, I am working on a project with a compactlogix L32E processor. I need to connect to remote devices via ethernet. Is there a remote IO module compartible with compactlogix over ethernet? I have searched the forum but have not found a solution yet. Thank you.

You can use the flex blocks or point i/o (ab or other).

Anything that supports an AENT module. This means other CompactLogix chassis, 1756 chassis, EN2DN modules (and associated Devicenet I/O), 1794 Flex IO, the Ethernet/IP ArmorBlock I/O, Point I/O...in short pretty much any current AB IO families. You don't have to stick with AB either. You can use the IO modules from Acromag for instance. There are lots of outright devices with support too. Browse through the ODVA's supplier directory to find names. Note that you can find most of the NAMES through the supplier directory, but not all the devices are listed, which makes it a bit of a hunt at times. Case in point, I have quite a bit of 1794 Flex IO being used by L32E's as well as a 1756 chassis where the IO density made more sense operating right now. The armor block stuff is kind of interesting if you have an assembly line operation because you just connect power and Ethernet via finger-tight connectors and mount the modules directly on the machine with no enclosures at all.

Thanks PLCMentor.com and Paulengr. I am going with the 1794 Flex IO and AENT module. I appreciate your help. Regards.

One last thing. Pay attention to the CIP usage. There is a limit to the amount you can drop off of any logix PLC. If you are not familiar with CIP and you plan on more than a few I/O, you need to research it as it is a gotcha. Russell

Russell, could you expand on what you mean by "more than a few I/O"? I am currently planning my 1st CPX project which should have no more than 100 IO (circa 90% digital, 10% analog) using a L32E PLC with 3 Point IO locations...

The CompactLogix Selection Guide (1769-SG1) is a great resource for CIP connection allocation, and the EtherNet Modules in Logix 5000 Control Systems (ENET-UM001) is also excellent. There is also a good Connection counter / Ethernet traffic estimator software tool out there. I'd have to go dig it up. Let's say you had 16 analog points (8x 2-channel modules) and 96 discrete points (24 4-point modules). If you created a Module Connection to each one, that would take up 24 + 8 = 32 CIP connections. That's all a CompactLogix 1769-L32E can support, so you would have no connections left for HMI or online programming. Rack Optimization to the rescue ! Create a Rack Optimized connection for each 1734-AENT adapter, and all the Discrete I/O will be collected up and exchanged with the CompactLogix in one connection. Now you've only got Module connections to the 8 analog modules, plug 3 Rack Optimized connections, leaving 21 CIP connections available for HMI, messaging, and online programming. Count up your I/O points and modules and post a summary, and Forum members can give you advice on how that I/O structure on Ethernet will perform with a 1769-L32E.

Thanks Ken, IO so far is: Main Panel (1) 1734-AENTR x 1 1734-OB8 x 3 1734-IB8 x 2 1734-OE2C x 0 1734-IE2C x 1 1734-TB x 7 Whey (2) 1734-AENTR x 1 1734-OB8 x 3 1734-IB8 x 2 1734-OE2C x 1 1734-IE2C x 3 1734-TB x 10 Towers (3) 1734-AENTR x 1 1734-OB8 x 3 1734-IB8 x 2 1734-OE2C x 0 1734-IE2C x 0 1734-TB x 6 Havn't counted required CTM and VTM's yet... Do I need RSNetWorx EthernetIP to configure rack optimisation? (Going for Logix5000 Lite as we shouldn't need CLX in the forseeable future). I shall download the selection guides you have suggested and read up. Cheers

Looks like just 8 CIP connections if you use Rack Optimization for the Discrete modules. RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP is not necessary for "scheduling" or configuring, like RSNetworx for ControlNet is. I have never used it, in fact, and I've troubleshot dozens of Ethernet/IP networks. Remember that if you are going to use the Ring architecture with those 1734-AENTR adapters that the CompactLogix needs a Ring adapter too; the 1783-ETAP.

Off topic and don't want to hi-jack this thread, but Ken did they finally get ENET ring working? The AB techs setting up our Ethernet Drive Systems are still telling us there is no Ring Ethernet Card for the Controllogix.

Dear All I planned to install Compact logix network consisted of : 1 main station 1769-L35E with 3 loacal expansion 20 Remote I/O station each station consisted of : 1 1734-AENTR 4 1734-IB8 2 1734-OB8 1 1734-IE2C 1 HMI thats mean I will have 41 TCP/IP nodes , did I needs added anoth control net to keep normally speed for network waiting your help Best regards Ali