Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duffanator

Windows 7 Netbook Networking Problem

4 posts in this topic

Hey all, This is a home issue and it's being a pain in the but... I got a Windows 7 Toshiba Netbook for christmas from my lovely wife (yay!) and I joined it to my network at home via a wireless connection. (Not sure what the network card is in it but the wireless router is a Netgear WNR2000) It worked great for the first few days but then all of a sudden I couldn't connect to any of my other computers with the netbook. If I go into the network explorer it only shows my netbook, yet if I go into the network explorer on any of my other computers (Windows 7 desktop, Windows Vista Desktop, 2 Windows XP Netbooks and a Windows XP Desktop) I can see everything INCLUDING my Windows 7 netbook that won't let me see any other computers.... Makes no sense to me. I have trolled the internet and tried adjusting all of the Windows 7 networking options to no avail. Today I was playing with it and found something interesting but makes absolutely no sense to me. If I open a command window and ping one of my other computers by name it says it can't find it, however if I ping it by IP address (they are static IP's) it finds it fine and then..... it magicly appears in the Network explorer! I can also then ping it by name. WTF? Has anyone ever run into this problem before? I have another windows 7 computer and I don't have this problem. I don't know if it's because it's on the wireless network or what. Any help would be appreciated, I'm a networking retard! Thanks!

I'm a networking newb also but I have seen this behavior on both Vista and Win 7 machines. IT has something to do with the ARP Table I think and the way the "offending" machine remembers or knows the network. The "forced" ping by IP Address does a refresh of that under the hood table. At least that is the explanations I've been given by more knowledgeable networking friends.

Thanks for the reply, Bob. That pointed me in the right direction. I checked and deleted the ARP cache and tried again but it didn't work. I then searched for ARP related networking problems and eventually found this: http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing...ut-problem.html This was very helpful and I ended up tracing the problem back to my router, interestingly enough. Apparently the router also has an ARP table that can be corrupted when something like a netbook or laptop goes into sleep mode and it's trying to communicate with it. I rebooted my router, cleared the cache on my netbook and then it started working perfectly. Thanks for the help, Bob. I wouldn't have found that on my own!

Glad to help Duff - You really get the prize for keeping up the search.