Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mick barrett

plc programming methologies

6 posts in this topic

Plc programming protocols. I am currently researching the methodologies that programmers use in plc programming and am looking for comments/ answers to the following : Are you a freelance programmer ? If so do you supply (with the program): · Process descriptions · Flow charts · I/O Lists · Test results · Do you write OEE friendly programs ? Do you have / use an I/O protocol ? Are you a programmer employed by in the manufacturing environment ? Does your industry have programming methodologies ? If so what are they ? I would appreciate any assistance

You must be doing this for a class of some sort aren't you? If you are, you should clearly state that up front. This forum supports specific Allen Bradley issues, I believe, and you may ruffle some feathers. Some people are usually "turned off" on surveys. But I'll pitch my 2 cents for what its worth to ya. yes,yes,yes,yes to your questions. The standards I use are the NFPA 79 2002 edition reference for "PLC programming methologies" (the first I ever heard of this terminology).

What's OEE?

This would have been better posted in the Lounge since it's not really an AB issue but here goes anyway... Panic, For a description of OEE see... http://www.productionprocess.com/screens/i_oee.html >Are you a freelance programmer ? yes. >If so do you supply (with the program): >· Process descriptions Usually. Depends on the budget and the project. >· Flow charts I would if I was asked... I've never been asked. I'm not a fan of flow charts. I prefer p-code. >· I/O Lists Always. >· Test results Never. I do extensive testing and then deliver a tested product. Testing is a dynamic process and attempting to show test "results" to me seems somewhat contrived. >· Do you write OEE friendly programs ? Often. Depends on the requirements. >Do you have / use an I/O protocol ? I use whatever protocol suits the project. >Are you a programmer employed by in the manufacturing environment ? Yes. >Does your industry have programming methodologies ? I suppose. >If so what are they ? I've no idea. I don't worry about it. I write my programs. The industry uses them. So... why are you doing this research? Jim Rowell

Thanks for comments. My reason is that I'm doing a research masters. Regards, Mick

Are you a freelance programmer? What is your definition of freelance? I am employed by an engineering company, but could very easily be on my own (have done so in the past.) I am a registered control systems professional engineer in the state of New York, so I can provide engineering services to the public (and get sued for it.) I head up the control systems engineering department, but still do actual projects, some of which include PLC programming. I also am on call by several of my long-term clients for troubleshooting and diagnosing problems. If so do you supply (with the program): · Process descriptions Never, those are generally supplied to me by the process engineer (or me, in my role as process engineer.) · Flow charts Waste of time. Always out of date. Best is fully annotated logic and code. · I/O Lists Always. Essential part of project. Most projects I have rescued have gotten into trouble because I/O lists were not properly managed (kept accurate and disseminated to all potential users). · Test results Yep, if time and money are allocated by client. Always try to work through a test plan and document any and all deviations plus resolutions. Sometimes call it "working a punchlist". Do you write OEE friendly programs ? Yep, if time and money are allocated by client. Do you have / use an I/O protocol ? I/O protocols are vendor specific for the most part. I use whatever the client wants. On greenfield projects, I will work with the client to identify which vendors' products are best for them in terms of maintenance, support, operability. Are you a programmer employed by in the manufacturing environment ? See answer under first ("freelance") programmer. Does your industry have programming methodologies ? If so what are they? Methodologies per se, not that I am aware, but there has been some diffusion from other engineering fields and from computer programming that have somewhat melded and are sometimes used. Mostly, what we do is very focused and directed, and whatever techniques we use to accomplish are based on personal experience or training. Not a lot of formal methodologies. I would appreciate any assistance. Me too. Know how to do machine control code using Mitsubishi A-series? I took a look at it, but the architecture is so different from American PLCs, it's not worth my time learning.