Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guy Halliburton

MOSCAD OPC server

5 posts in this topic

Hi, hopefully there are some Motorola gurus out there who can spot what I am doing wrong. It seems like one of those problems that "should" have a really simple answer (if you know what you're doing!). Thanks for any help or suggestions people might be able to give. The Issue I have a fully functional MOSCAD system that I want to clone to run on a new PC/server. The MOSCAD System A M-OPC server is running on Windows Server 2003, connecting to a MOSCAD FIU by tcp/ip then by MDLC to the remote MOSCAD RTU’s. Cloning Process Three types of cloning have been tried, each giving the same problem. The original PC and the new PC are very similar with only the network card being different. 1. Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server with Universal Restore. The software did a live backup, then the image was restored to the new server. The software does a hardware independent restore. 2. StorageCraft ShadowProtect Server. This system did a “cold” backup. The original PC was booted from a ShadowProtect boot CD, then a backup done on the PC, so the original PC’s operating system is not running. This should be a completely true snap-shot of the original system. The restore was done onto the new PC in the same way, booting off the CD. 3. VMWare workstation using VMWare converter. This did a live image, then the image was run on VMWare Workstation 6.5 The Problem All three cloning processes gave the same problem. M-OPC did not run. When SECADMIN the security administrator tool was run this was the message “Failed to Init Database after set DB file. Error: 812DFF96” When “M-OPC Monitoring and Setting” was run this was the error, “Failed to create OPC local connection” when using server select wizard to connect to MOPC DAServer. Problem Solving Steps Taken 1. M-OPC was uninstalled on the new PC. 2. The MOPC300 directory was deleted. 3. MOPC was re-installed 4. Comm Setup was run to set the destination IP address and port 5. Secadmin was run to reset the password to that on the original installation 6. opcinidb.mdb was copied to the MOPC300\prg directory (all the branch/item settings) At this point it appears that there is a going system. It looks exactly like that on the original PC. However when going into “M-OPC Monitoring and Setting” to check, all the data comes back as “bad”. When the system items are added to the monitoring (MDLC comms and Server Diagnostics) they show all transmissions failing. All other setting, when compared to the original working system, are the same. Wireshark (a tcp/ip monitoring tool) shows tcp/ip traffic between the PC and the FIU, but I cannot interpret what this traffic really is. Possible Problem??? 1. The ip address and name of the cloned PC is the same, but the network card MAC address is different. Does the FIU have a setting to lock it to a given PC/MAC address? 2. The GUID of the clone may be different, is MOPC or the FIU locked to this?? 3. Is there some comms setting I have missed. This would seem to be the most logical solution. 4. During the cloning/restore process the network card/MOPC link might have been broken in a registry setting somewhere??
1 person likes this

What is your SCADA system? and which version? Your FIU is MOSCAD or IP GATEWAY?

The FIU is a MOSCAD RTU. Version of Toolbox is 9.54 The "system" is FIU --> M-OPC --> FSGateway --> Intouch HMI It is MDLC over the air --> RS232 out of MDS radio into the FIU & TCP out of the FIU into M-OPC. M-OPC then connects to FSGateway. On the cloned PC everything works except the M-OPC to FIU link. I can ping the FIU & FSGateway connects to M-OPC

I never use M-OPC, usually I use modbus to connect intouch into moscad. Can you tell more about M-OPC and FSGATEWAY? Q:Did you try to give your new pc the same IP address of old one(and be sure you disconnect the okd one first)? Tip:Try to colne your old pc through Norton Ghost 11 it is very smart software.

Problem Solved. If you're making the problem too complicated, then you're missing the simple solution. "everything works except the M-OPC to FIU link" Yes true. During the re-install of the MOPC server you get to enter the MDLC server password as part of the installation process. I blithely accepted the default password without thinking. This was incorrect which was why I didn't get any communications. Cloning alone didn't work as the MOPC password file is encrypted to make it unique to a PC. Hence I had to re-install the MOPC software and also enter the correct password for the MDLC server (that software survived the cloning process with its password intact). Edited by Guy Halliburton