Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfkuss

Need help with compute function in RSLogix 5000

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a formula I can use to convert differential pressure in "H2O to flow in SCFM. I have created a table of various flows vs. pressures, but don't know of a formula. I am using a differential pressure transmitter reading from a pitot tube. The transmitter can be setup to transmit the 4-20 signal as linear (pressure 0 - 10"H2O) and also has a Sqrt output. I am not sure how to get the data converted to a flow. If I try the standard y=mx+b, it only is accurate at one point, not full range. Any help would be appreciated.

Flow is proportional to the square root of the differential pressure. The orifice plate or whatever should have some calibration data stamped on it.

The key is that you must know what the 0-10" represents. I have several venturi meters, all different (0-15 MGD, 5-50 MGD, etc). Each of the transmitters is ranged to match the mechanical device (the respective venturi). Once you know the range, it is very simple to bring that 4-20 signal to the analog input module of your PLC. Then configure that particular channel of the A/I module to match the range of the transmitter. Viola, the actual flow value will be displayed as the raw analog. Am I on the right track, or was this not what you were asking? Bill

It follows a square root curve. Also the absolute pressure and a host of other factors are involved in the conversion for accuracy reasons. Look on the web site for Dwyer which has most of the correction factors on it.

You will need to take into consideration a density calculation as different fluids have different density's and also possible a temperature. because if the H20 is above 100DegC then it may be steam rather than water.

Since you've already gone to the trouble of generating a table of flow versus pressure, you could also create your own formula by creating a curve-fit function.