Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freewayc

Another (newby) Quickpanel Problem

31 posts in this topic

Also you said that this is a "QPK2xxxxx" QuickPanel. I have tried on more than 1 occasion to find a download cable Part Number is HMI-CAB-C49-x (Try to find a -H or later as earlier ones are prone to failure.) for these without success. Once in awhile there is one on eBay, but neither GE nor Proface can supply a new one. I have 'almost' gotten to the point of attempting to make more. I have made 2 in the past, 1 is with a friend the other was lost by a salesman who "borrowed' it. This was done several years ago when we were supplied a bad batch and good ones were very hard to get. (Does anyone have a spare they would like to sell, 'cheap' of course.)

BTW, the QPK2xxx family is obsolete and if you get a new one from your machine builder I suggests that you insist on its replacement which is one of the QuickPanel View series. With a complete part number we may be able to recommend a replacement part number. They cost less and do more.

Steve, you are close. 1. Communications between the QP and the PLC intemittently failed, then after some time, failed all together. 2. I ordered an PRE-programmed QP and it is a QPK2D100L2P-E. 3. I installed it and it worked great with a single menu and all menus in place, however, it still would not communicate with the IC693CPU352-DJ, 90-30 processor. I purchased a new processor just in case this was the problem. It stayed this way for several months waiting for plant shutdown when I would further troubleshoot and replace the processor if necessary. 4. At plant shutdown: I checked the cable with an ohmeter, and it was fine. 5. I attempted to communicate with the processor which I could not accomplish, this lead me believe that the RS-485 port was bad. 6. I replaced the processor. The QP cable is attached to the RS-485 port which is also the port I used for programming the new processor. 7. I programmed the processor through the RS-485 port. The one on the front of the processor, not through the power supply. 8. After programming using prodigy, I re-attached the QP cable. 9. Machine worked fine, communications between the PLC and the QP was restored however this is when I noticed that two menus were appearing at once. 10. You can see through the two menu mess that data is getting through from the PLC.

Once you re-established communications between the new QP and the new CPU, did you try to find out if the old QP would communicate with the new CPU? Right now, my opinion is that the new QP is faulty. It sounds like it is not erasing the old screen (what you've been calling a "menu") when commanded to display a new one.

That is a good idea (trying the old QP). It would be a heck of a coincidence that the new QP had a problem right after I programmed the PLC, although possible. I'm going to go ahead and purchase a new HMI if you guys care to give me a suggestion on which one to get. Thanks