Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freewayc

Another (newby) Quickpanel Problem

31 posts in this topic

I had to change the PLC processor out on my 90-30 sytem due to no communication with the quickpanel (QPK2.....). I did so by disconnecting the serial cable from the Quickpanel and using the SNK cable from my laptop. Got everything to work correctly and communicate properly, however, the quickpanel is now apparently running two identical scripts as the menu appears twice on the screen, one about 1/2" below the other. Am I right in thinking that maybe when I copied the project over from my laptop (using Proficy ME 5.60), it also copied the Quickpanel script over to the 90-30 processor, and after I plugged the 485 cable back into the processor, the processor copied the script over to the Quickpanel where both scripts now run simultaneously?

No, you can't download a Quickpanel file to a PLC, nor can your PLC download a file to a Quickpanel. The PLC is a slave device to the QP. It only responds to commands from the QP.

Thanks Steve I appreciate the response. Any idea on how that may have happened or what I can do to solve this? I never had any direct access to the Quickpanel (actually Quickpanel 2...don't know if it makes any difference) so I don't think I caused the duplication. When you hit a touchscreen menu pushbutton both menu's will change.

Without looking at the application, it's hard to venture a guess. You mentioned scripts. What do the scripts do and what triggers their execution? Am I correct in assuming everything worked properly for some period of time, and then stopped working? What did you have to do to the PLC to reestablish communications?

The original problem is that the Quickpanel and the 90-30 processor were no longer communicating which was stated right on the Quickpanel. After changing the Quickpanel out, it was obvious that the processor must be the problem since communication was still not established. At this point the Quickpanel was working fine other than no data was present on the screen due to lack of communication. All other objects appeared fine on the Quickpanel. I bought and installed a new CPU module (IC693CPU352-DJ) and installed the PLC ladder file using Proficy ME 5.60 with no problems from the PLC's standpoint. After booting the machine, everything...all objects and data in each menu, was inexplicably doubled, like getting hit in the head with a rock and seeing 2 fingers when your buddy is holding up 1 only in this case one menu is correct, and the other is shifted down about 1/2". Both menu's respond to a button touch at the same time bringing up the respective menu. As for running scripts. I am quite new to the Quickpanel and from reading other posts, I just assumed that a script was written in whatever language the Quickpanel uses and uploaded. It just appeared to me that the program was running in duplicate. Any ideas? Did I provide enough info? Thanks again Steve. Carl

Also....The Quickpanel had been working fine for a long time and started intermittently with the communication problems then gave out completely, which made sense in that before I changed out the CPU card, I could not communicate with it via the CPU's 485 port. However I had no problem with the new card's CPU port, which is where I plugged in to install the ladder program with proficy on a laptop.

Make a backup copy of your Proficy Machine Edition project and post it here. I'll open it and take a look to see if anything jumps out at me. I have a 90-30 but I don't have a Quickpanel, so I can't do a live test. I'm assuming your Quickpanel target and your 90-30 target are part of the same project.

It is possible that this is a "bug" in your Proficy software. Anyway there was a similar issue with a specific version, however I do not recall what version that was, anyway do you have the latest patches loaded on your version 5.60? DN3189: Machine Edition 5.60 SIM 18 This assumes that you used PME 5.60 to download to the QuickPanel. (edit) It would be advantageous to keep this up-to-date. Edited by RussB

Thanks Russ and Steve. I have not updated this software and the CD's have 2007 as the manufacture date. So how can this happen if the PLC does not "upload" to the quickpanel? Should I apply the patch to my computer and re-upload the program? Included is the .PRJ file. Not sure if you need any other files. Thanks. utcha2889.prj

I tried to download SIM 18. System would not let me through using my login. Let me guess, you have to be a GE employee or supported vendor to get the patch right? Regular customers that like to support their own machines are not eligible.

The login for the support site is not the same as the login for this forum. You do not need to be under a support contract to download SIMs and service packs. You do need to already have the correct version of Machine Edition installed as the SIMs are not full installations. Does everything on each screen get displayed twice or is it just the data in numeric display objects? For example, on the main page does the Blastec logo get doubled? When does the doubling happen? When you navigate to a different page, does it get displayed properly at first and then have the second instance written over or is it doubled from the get-go? If you were to disconnect the communications cable between the Quickpanel and the PLC and then touch a button to change to a new page, does it behave the same as when the communications cable is connected? Was this project originally written with Quick Designer software and imported into Machine Edition?

All you need is a GE SSO (Single Sign On) to get these files, does not cost anything other than you telling GE who you are, or who you want them to think that you are.

Yeah, I did try loging on with my single sign on username and password and it would not let me get at the files. I could get into my profile though. I will attempt to create a different profile, username, and password or worst case try GE customer support on the matter. We are in the middle of plant shutdown and the blast is locked out now as they are performing some major mechanical work to it but, as I recall, even with the rs-485 cable unattached the Quickpanel would still show two full menus, both showing all objects and data all the time, and they work independently of each other i.e. if the first menu has the Blastec logo, the second may or may not display the Blastec logo depending on whether it was on the same menu page or a different one. The installation of the machine was prior to my employment with the company. I believe they used Versa Pro to program the PLC but I don't know how they programmed the panel. I converted the original Versa Pro program into Proficy ME 5.60 before downloading it to the processor. Thanks Steve and Russ

Have you contacted your distributor on this, maybe they can download it and get it to you on a USB stick or CD, I do that a lot for our customers.

The Blastec logo only appears on one page. If it still shows up after you touch one of the "Goto" buttons to navigate to another page, it sounds like a problem with the Quickpanel unit. To the best of my knowledge, a "Goto" button is supposed to erase the currently displayed page and show the selected page. I wonder if there is a firmware level that the Quickpanel should be at in order to be compatible with a Machine Edition download?

After the mechanics were through with the machine, the Quickpanel came up with a single menu. I am crossing my fingers that it was a glitch that disappeared after a long duration with no power. The Quickpanel is being used simply to monitor machine activity so it is not imperative for it operate. The machine will be in operation starting Monday so I will find out for sure if there is still a problem. I still plan on using the update SIM's and looking at the firmware for the Quickpanel. Thanks for your help fellas and I'll drop back in here to let you know how it turned out.

I do not see a part number for QP in the thread (more lack of detail) but if the QP was loaded using Proficy ME it 'should' have upgraded the firmware to the version within PME, either QuickDesiner or Proficy ME will download a new "Executable" if it is not equal to the version contained in the development software being used. Once in a while one needs to force this with a parameter within the development software. This is also why upgrading your Proficy and reloading the QuickPanel just may fix this. Did you properly thank the mechanics? Edited by RussB

And I hope Santa Claus brought you everything you wished for! It will most likely reappear at the most inopportune time.

Well Santa didn't bring me any luck as the problem came back. Looking at it a little more carefully, the first menu appears then about 2 seconds later the second menu overwrites the first menu leaving both menus on the screen. So maybe when I loaded the software using Prodigy, something occured while trying to update the quickpanel you think Russ?

I recommend that you clear memory out of the QP and start over. To do this touch three of the four corners and find the menu that lets you 'initialize' the QP, it will ask for a password which should be "1101", or is it "1011" if it has not been changed. You will need to download the project again when done. Did you get the SIM for Proficy ME? Edited by RussB

Yes, I downloaded the SIM. I had passwork issues that I resolved before. Clear something up for me Russ. Steve said that the PLC will not send data to the Quickpanel, so I am trying to figure out how reloading the Prodigy software will clear up the problem with the Quickpanel, unless you meant initialize the quickpanel and then upload the Quickpanel program to the Quickpanel directly. If this is the case I will have to obtain a cable and software for the Quickpanel. Thanks again for the help. Carl

Yes, I was referring to clearing and reloading the QuickPanel. I assumed you had a download cable and software as you referenced replacing the QuickPanel in an earlier post. I do not believe that the problem has anything to do with the PLC, unless we are missing pertinent information. Troubleshooting like this is not the most efficient way.

I did replace the Quickpanel with a new one that was ordered and programmed from the company that made the machine. I could go that route again, and my boss would like me to do that, but I would learn nothing. I am trying to keep him at bay so that I can attempt this on my own (with a some help from you guys!). So, I will buy a cable and the software and give this an attempt. Thanks for your help. Carl

I think you've done a lot more than simply download to the PLC. If I'm interpreting post #5 in this thread correctly, you also changed to a new Quickpanel. Here is my understanding of the sequence of events. 1. Communictaions between the QP and the PLC failed. 2. You installed a replacement QP. 3. You replaced the CPU module in the PLC. Tell us something about the replacement QP. Was it new out of the box such that you had to download the QP project file to it? Which port on the CPU352 are you using, the RS232 port or the RS485 port? You said you were experiencing intermittent communication failures with the old QP before you replaced it. Did you replace the cable between the QP and the PLC before you replaced the QP (and later the CPU module)? If you are using the CPU's RS485 port, did you try connecting the QP to the RS485 port on the power supply?