Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommu56

remote loging in to plc's

10 posts in this topic

Does any one use any thing like Gotomypc or Logmein123 to get to the plc's directly? I know I can log in with these to a pc running software but if I have software can some thing else "port" me to plc behind fire walls? tom

Open the correct ports in the firewall and connect directly (other people will be able to access the PLCs too), or use a firewall with a VPN server (secure but a little more work).

thanks Our IT people wont allow any one outside to use "their" VPN to work on our equipment. The equipment is on our net work for us to work on it. Next time Ill have to spec in modem. I guess security comes before production in their minds, but with out production you get no security right! tom

Are you just looking for information from the controller or are you looking to go online with it?

Ahhh.... The "usual" problem You could also try to get a wireless (3G) VPN router. That way, the router will have it's own IP in the wireless www and you can access it from any network connected rescource. Then, set up VPN in the router and you can access the router (and the network inside) using a VPN client on the connecting computer. I don't know what kind of equipment you use, but I've used a "box" (MRD-310) from a company called Westermo in Sweden. Simply insert the SIM card, configure an IPSec VPN Server and use your preferred VPN client on your computer..... Just remember; if your IT departement finds out that you are actually accessing the network via "your" VPN they'll get pretty upset....... Maybe not a good way of doing business.....

The never ending problem of dealing with a customers IT department and being refused access. The only solution I have found is a Cellular data modem. Not cheap and also requires a cellular plan. But it works and provided you can charge your customer for the service is well worth the investment. http://www.bb-elec.com/product_multi_famil...ultiFamilyId=56

I used to use a PC on the network with PCAnywhere. Have IT direct the traffic for PCAnywhere to that PC through their routers and firewalls, and then you can program the PLCs from the remote computer. Some IT departments were more receptive to this idea than opening ports in the firewall.

I wanted the oem to trouble shoot their plc program. We delayed the install and lost their window for them to come here because of a prior commitment they couldn't make it. I got it up and running but it would have been quicker with their help. tom

If the computer at your office got internet, you can use with them teamviewer who pass throught almost all firewall

I've gone thru this issue several times both as the Integrator/OEM needing access and as the Customer Maintenace Manager needing the support of IT to make it happen. Here's what I've seen done and had success with. 1. An old fashioned Analog Phone Line run to the PLC and a US Robotics Smart Modem to connect the PLC serial port to my PC dialing the PLC. It works but screen refresh at 9600 baud from Washington to Florida ain't pretty. 2. Install a consumer grade DSL or Cable modem and run connect the PLC ethernet direct to it. Of course local IT may frown on this once they find out it's being done. 3. In a situation where Maintenance, Engineering and IT all were working together, IT maintained a fleet of "loaner laptops" which were preconfigured for VPN access and Programming software. Vendors were issued these laptops for use while the project was in the startup phase and this gave them better access than we the maintenance techs had. 4. After holding a discussion with IT about the cost of "loaner laptop" maintenance and tracking it was decided to develop a minumim vendor PC spec. If a vendor could meet the spec with their PC and sign the Security and Confidentiality agreement that legal crafted then and only then would they recieve a limited used VPN CLient which was workable with out system. This meant they had full access to their PLC from their site to support our efforts. NOTE -- This approach took over 5 years to develop, and it not without headaches, but by far the best if you can negotiate it.