Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waterboy

Windows 7 and RSLinx working?

17 posts in this topic

I have win7 and installed RSLinx 2.54 and RSLogix 5. Both installed fine but when I start RSLinx it doesnt display on the screen or in the systray. Win7 is offiially unsupported but rockwell but surely someone here has gotten it to work. Its not that different from Vista (shudder) so I feel it should work. This is a wierd symptom because the app will run in taskmanager but will not display on the screen. Also I sometimes get a new notification in Win7 that says "the application is trying to display a message" and when I view the "message" its the splash screen. Then the splash screen closes and then nothing. Sound familiar to anyone?

I just saw this on AB's forums. Not sure if this will help, but worth a shot. I had to turn the "User Account Control Settings" to never notify. Now it all works. My user account was already set to administrator and I tried sever times to run the software "as adminstrator", but nothing worked. Hope this will help others. Edited by Armadillo852

RSLinx Classic 2.55 was what I've been told works best in Windows Vista and in Windows 7. RSLinx Classic 2.56 was released just a couple of days ago but I haven't read the release notes yet.

To get things working on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate machine I did the following: RSLinx Classic 2.52 Run the main program using XP SP2 compatibility mode I know I did some tricks for RS Logix 500 as well, but I don't remember what. Something to do with stopping a service to enable it to start Hope this helps in some small way

I got the info from the web myself, but it worked for me. If you browse to the installation files, right click on the setup files (I did all the files named setup.exe) go to properties, then compatibility, then check run in compatibility mode for windows XP Pro it will run once installed. Having said that keep in mind these things about my setup, I am runnning windows7 home premium, and I installed the free version of rslogix 500. The free version does not require validation through factory talk, and I have read that factory talk messes up validation somehow using this scheme. If you have the same setup as what I have, it should work though. It will probably work with other situations as well, but I can't even guess what will, and what won't work. PcRider

"XP Compatibility mode" is a virtual machine, but the network drivers are not done very well, hence your issues with getting it to work. I highly recommend that you go with a much better virtual machine such as VMWare, Citrix XenServer, or Sun VirtualBox. All are full virtual machines running on open source code without any questionable Microsoft hacks and bugs.

I can vouch for the operability of Sun Virtual Box Guesting Windows XP on Win 7 Host, but not with a Rockwell Product Yet.

RSLinx will not install on Windows 7 64-bit. I don't think Rockwell currently supports any 64-bit OS, but I may be wrong. However, its getting harder to find any new laptops that don't have Win7 64-bit, so I can tell you what I've done to make it work. In contrast to what some others have said on this post, "Virtual PC" and "Windows XP Mode" work excellent in Windows 7. I tried to do a virtual XP in "Virtual PC 2007" in Vista, and it was a joke. Always had problems. However, I'm using "XP Mode" in Windows 7 now and it always works great. It's actually hard to believe that Microsoft did something right. Also, keep in mind that "Windows XP Compatibilty Mode" and "Windows XP Mode" are two COMPLETELY different things. "Compatibility Mode" is when you tell Windows 7 to try and run the program with the settings that should be compatible with an older OS (such as Windows XP). I've had luck with this for non-Rockwell products, but this never works for Rockwell products and it didn't under Vista either. "Windows XP Mode" is a virtual OS that you run through "Virtual PC" (Not Virtual PC 2007, just Virtual PC). 1. Download and install Virtual PC and XP Mode from Microsoft's website. They are easy to find and there are easy instructions. They only work on Win7 Professional or Ultimate. 2. Run Windows XP Mode and install RSLinx. 3. If you are not using DHCP for your laptop to get its IP address, then you have to set an IP address for your Network card in Win7 and ALSO in WinXP Mode. In your Virtual PC settings, set up 2 network drivers. The first should be the default "NAT" (which passes through your internet from Win7 to the virtual OS), and the second should be the physical Network card you are using. Specify an IP address in Win7, and a different IP address in XP Mode. It doesn't matter what they are as long as they are different and in the same subnet as your PLC. 4. Then install RSLogix, RSView, FTView or anything else that you want to use in XP Mode as well. I've been using this for months and it works great. Also, here is another tip - after installing FTView ME (for programming Panelview Plus) it is not going to allow you to run the program because it says you can't set the FT directory on a "remote machine". This is because XP Mode uses terminal services to do all of the nice features that pass through your drives and networking from Win7. All you have to do is go up to the Virtual PC menu and select "Disable Integration Features". Then set the FT directory. Then select "Enable Integration Features" and you are set to go! (Integration Features are in the "Tools" menu which is only available when you are running XP mode in a window and NOT full screen. So if you don't see it, then go out of full screen view to enable the menu first.)
1 person likes this

I have just had my windows 7 laptop and i have tried installing virtual PC. This works with linx fine and logix 5, 500 and 5000 install ok, teh issue is when you try and activate them with the factory talk activation centre. I had a lot of trouble with this, so in the end i installed Linx 2.5.6 which works great with W7 Logix 5 - V 7.40 Logix500 - V 8.20 Logix 5000 - V 16 and they all work liek a charm. i'll keep you posted if i get any funny business but i'm very impressed at the moment

RSlinx 2.57 currently targeted for September 2010 will be compatible with windows 7

I agree with Micheal Smith. Works have been using it for a couple months now. Pulsar2003 transfer your licenses from the Floppy to a USB. Virtual machine has no problems with the USB memory. I actully copied my keys to the virtual machine and have not had any problems to date.

XP Mode works perfectly for me EXCEPT that it does not handle my floppy drive properly. I own a legal copy of RSLogix 500 7.0 and my activation is still on a floppy disk. XP Mode accesses my normal disks just fine (an internal floppy drive on my new desktop -- installed just to test this; and a USB floppy drive tried on both this desktop and a notebook machine). In all tests, XP Mode destroys the Activation floppy disk. The disk is never usable again. I'm lucky that I was able to find an old DOS utility to make a copy of my activation diskette before attempting this in Windows 7 64-bit & XP Mode.

I am new to the forum and I just resolved the same problem that I was having. I was out in the field and could not open Linx to edit my RSWho to add the IP addresses that I needed so I freaked out. In the following directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLinx You will find an application named RSLINXCP.exe and it is the Linx Launch Control Panel. Stop the service if it is currently running and then un-check the box making it "Always Run As Service". I reopened Linx and it came up properly and is just like it was on WIN XP. My machine is Win7 Pro 64-bit. This may have been posted elsewhere, and if so, my apologies.

The biggest joke here is that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have taken the route to make an O/S that can't run applications that their previous versions can. It's like BP/Shell etc. replacing the fuel in the pumps to something that your car won't run on. At the end of the day, the function of an operating system is to allow applications to run, and give them the support they need. Windows is an Operating System, but it exhibits the properties of a God

Windows 7 is an OS in which Rs Linx is installed. RS Linx is that communication software which provide a communication link btween PC & PLC. to install rs Linx in windowes 7 & to synchronise it with the os, some extra efforts has to be made while if the os is windows 98 then there is no need of doing such settings . It automatic establishes the link with the os . PLC Training Edited by Nilesh Tiwari

Praise for Windows 98 is what I'm looking for when I select a training provider.
1 person likes this