Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Veganic

S5 with Dos software under XP

5 posts in this topic

I'm playing with an old S5 I was trying all sorts of virtual machines with dos and free dos and getting no where. But it seems to almost work under XP! I can go online but thats were the fun ends or starts depending on your point of view. What's my next move to get the program out of the CPU? It's a S5-100U. I just get a 'function cannot be selected at the moment' message. Thanks in advance.

I used to work with STEP5 extensively, that was 15 years ago. How time flies. From vague memories, you should go into the project preferences (I think it is called, or something to that end), where you can see which COM port is assigned to the online connection. When you open that window, it will try to check if something is connected to the port, and if succesful will display "AG=S5-100U" (again, I think it is something like this). If that goes OK, you should be able to go into the dialog for transferring PLC blocks to the PC. There are several 3rd party S5 programming softwares that will work under the latest Windows version (at least Xp and Vista). If this is more than just occasional work, then you should consider to purchase one of these. For serious work, STEP5 is too archaic to my taste. Of course it can be "fun" to get old STEP5 to work under Windows XP. I believe that the very lastest version 7.23 is compatible with XP at least.

I inherited the Step5 software and I think I must be missing a dongle or something. I've download the demo version of PG2000 which works quite well for gaining an understanding of how the S5 works. I see these S5s all over the place....just a matter of time until I have to do the world a favour and replace one!

Hi, What version of Step 5 are you using? On the version i have you go to BLOCKS>TRANSFER then set transfer from PLC to file. Type A (for all blocks) and thats it. cheers

Dear friend, try to use windows based software PG2000 or PG95. If you are beginner it will be more easy for you. dekor