Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jon W

1748-u2dhp

5 posts in this topic

We have just received some older equipment with the SLC5/04 that we are trying to hook up to using a 1748-udhp cable. We have had a real problem trying to connect to these PLC's without stopping the communication from RS linx before connecting the cable. Doe's anyone have some configuration or connection techniques that will make these connections easier.

Exactly what do you mean by "had a real problem" ? Do you mean that connecting the 1784-U2DHP caused an interruption or disruption of network communications on the DH+ network ? Do you mean that the RSLinx Driver would not browse or communicate on the network unless you stopped and re-started the driver ? I have not used the 1784-U2DHP but everyone I've spoken to says it is straightforward; exactly like the ancient 1770-KF2 but with USB. Were the various SLC-5/04 controllers set for different DH+ data rates (57.6, 115.2, 230.4 kb/s) ? I could see that being a conflict that would require deleting and re-configuring an RSLinx driver.

Sorry the problem was that when I attached the 1784-U2DHP to the SLC-5/04 and the configured driver for this interface was still running I could not get connected, but if I disconnected the 1784-U2DHP, stopped the driver from RSLINX, then reattached the cable and then restarted the driver from RSLINX I could then browse and connect to the PLC. The Data rates were not an issue as they did match between the connector and the PLC. I was just wondering if this was SOP for these units or did I miss something during the driver configuration. Also on this PLC I have to have my station number set for decimal 50? I have some knowledge of AB plc's and drivers, though most of it is with SLC-5/05's and ethernet. Thanks for the reply.

I have a similar issue with mine in that if RSLinx is running and I then connect the USB end, I have to stop and start RSLinx or it will never browse. My case is a little different and I never went from PLC to PLC (mine are PLC5 anyway) with the laptop running so I cant verify the problem you have with the other end of the cable, but I would sure think its just something we have to live with. Here's hoping I'm wrong...

Thanks for the reply's sorry for the long delay in replying but I thought we had it figured out until a new issue poped up recently. The PLC's have a HMI on the DH+ three pin connector just above the round program port, when we last ried to hook up to the PLC we could not get a connection and the HMI would loose its connection with the PLC. If we disconnected the HMI from the DH+ port we could then get our liked to the PLC, which is fine if you are doing program changes but unfortunatly the HMI runs all functions for the machine. The HMI is a Total Control using quick designer for programming.