Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratcliffe_ic

Accessing E1101 Trend Data Remotely

5 posts in this topic

Currently doing a project where we need to look at the behaviour of the system over time, trends have been set up in the HMI but the issue is I need to access them remotely somehow. The ideal is that we dial in and retrieve the data, but I'm not sure if this is possible so I'm throwing it open for comment.

I have had good success with remote accessing the E1101 panels. Typically I have used the VNC like remote conenction. Using the full control option, you can navigate around the HMI as though you were at it and could see anything you could see locally. I am pretty sure you can usea similar connection to access the panels filesystem using FTP which I believe is where the trend data would be stored. The really nice feature I have found on those panels is that since you can select the port numbers for all of the various functions, it is very easy to put them behind a router and set up port forwarding to access the various functions. In my applications we are usually on a dynamically assigned connection so I use a router with the dynamic dns function to be able to always get back to the devices without knowing the actual IP address. You can get back to teh router using a domain name, get the current dynamic address and then use you know port numbers to access the functions of the terminal. I have even done this successfully using a mobile braodband router to do updates to devices at remote sites. Good Luck. Chuck

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by "VNC like remote connection"? When you say you have used a mobile broadband router is this at the E1101 end? My main problem will be I will not be able to use the clients network and therefore will have to fit something like a GSM modem or PSTN modem if I'm lucky.

The panel calls it "Remote Access". In truth it works exactly like the VNC protocol and you can in fact use any VNC viewer instead of just the one provided by Beijers / Mits. see www.realvnc.com for more info. Yes, I have been successful at using the mobile broadband device at teh E1101 end. I am currently facing the same chalenge as you in that I can;t get access to the locations network. Here in the states I have been able to get a mobile braodband PCMCIA card and a Linksys router taht will accept it as its WAN connection. then by setting up port forwarding and dynamicDNS in the router, I am always able to gat conencted back to the remote E1101 ( and the connected PLCs as well). I know there are other makers of that hardware out there are well. My conenction needs are very intermittent, so I waswilling to go with more comsumer level gear. If you really need to get connected all of the time, I know that DIGI makes some more robust units with a lot more connection options. Hope this helps. If you get into it, I can help you with router / port forwarding setups that have been successful. Chuck

Its easy mate : Download from here : http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html It E-Designer / Setup / Network / Services / Remote access, type in the password you wish to use. Run Tight VNC (server) on the pc you wish to connect to the panel. Insert the IP address of the panel (192.168.1.1 is the default-IP on the local network) in the VNC server. Yopu should get connection. Ben