Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plcdp

wire labeling question

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I am about to start building my first panel and I was wondering what people used for wire labeling. Is it better to get a hand-held unit, or software for the pc with special paper for the printer? Thank you, plcdp

We use the Brady IDPal handheld labeler with vinyl labels. They seem to hold up the best in our environment where everything, eventually, will get wet. It's slower because you can only do one label at a time but they hold up really well.

Are you planning on building lots of panels, or is this an isolated build and you might not build another for a long time? How large is the panel? If you are going to build lots of them then invest in a Brady TLS2200. I use the TLS2200 and it is a sweet labeler. They aren't cheap but well worth it if you are doing lots of panels or large panels. Brady has some other less expensive products that might be worth the cost if building a couple of panels. Check the website. Panduit also makes a hand held labeler. If you are establishing a panel building shop then I suggest both a desktop wire label printer and computer software and a hand-held printer. http://www.bradyid.com/ http://www.panduit.com If its a one panel build for yourself and its not a large panel then I suggest you buy a roll of heat shrink wire markers and neatly hand letter them with a fine point permanent marker. Its not worth the expense for a single panel unless you have deep pockets. Or talk to a panel builder who has a label printer and see if he will print them for you for a fee. I've got one system here where the control builder printed the numbers on plain paper, cut them into strips and stuffed the strips and wire into short pieces of clear heat shrink tubing. It was probably labor intensive, but the panel is 20+ years old and all the labels are still there and legible. Edited by Alaric

Here's another brand that I use for you to take a look at. http://www.labelcity.com/eonline/dymo-rhinopro.asp

Thanks to all for your suggestions. plcdp

I use the Brady 1244 thermal printer with Brady Durasleeve plastic sleeves and poly label inserts. They stand up to almost anything. Most customers and consultants require something that is no easy to take off the wire. Stick ons are usually not allowed at all. I think the Brady TLS will do the same thing - it is protable, slower and only carries 300 poly markers where as the 1244 and stand the rolls of markers are about 3000. Edited by BobB

As asked before, how many panels do you plan on doing? If it is a small amount a handheld works just fine. We do quite a few panels and the ability to print allot of wire labels at once. I started using Brady software and printing labels thru a laser printer but had its issues. Finally ended up going to Panduit and using there TDP43M printer and software. Not only can I just print larger amounts quicky it is also more economical. I am very happy with our set-up.

Reading the above posts I realiize we have the best of both worlds and didnt know it. We have 2 brady handheld units for the onsie twosie label jobs and an old dot matrix which prints on tractor fed sheets of paper backed clear plastic for the large jobs. Not sure whose paper, possibly brady also. But then the equipment is a good 10 years old easily.

I like the Brady IDPal too however I prefer the cloth labels...PAL-750-499 I believe...but I have heard that Brady is discontinuing it. No word on it's replacement yet

We picked up a Panduit TDP43M (shows TDP43MY on the back) off eBay. It did not come with a power cord. Any chance you can look at your power cord (or use a meter) and tell me if it is positive tipped or negative tipped? We checked into buying one and they want $200 or more for a $15 power cord which I have sitting on the shelf. I just need to know the polarity. It shows that it needs 20V at 2A on the back but doesn't show polarity. Thanks, Bryan