Bryanr

VPN Advice

8 posts in this topic

I have been asked to look into setting up a VPN connection to a clients site for remote troubleshooting. The main problem is I've had a search around and am utterly bemused by the different options out there, and wondered if anyone has done similar and can recommend some equipment. System is a Mitsi Q02 CPU with an QJ71E71-100 Ethernet card fitted in the rack. I would like something that would support the Native Melsoft connection for programming access using the standard windows VPN client connection. It would be a bonus if I can get at the E1101 also on the network. Any ideas chaps?

Any VPN solution will make it possible to program both the PLC and the terminal via network/Ethernet. That's the whole point of VPN (Virtual Private Network). When you make a VPN connection, you connect to a remote device (most often a router/firewall or other VPN capable server) and when you are connected you can contact any device on the remote network as if you were on the actual site. To choose a specific VPN configuration you should google VPN and try to find some information. There are lots of different solutions and you'll have to gather some information and knowledge before using any of them (VPN will need some configuration). If you want a VPN solution where you can use windows without any extra software I would start by looking at SSL VPN (Secure Socket Layer). This kind of solution does not require a pre-installed client software on your computer, but instead automaticly downloads and initiates the software via your web browser (almost like an online banking account). When you later on need to connect your VPN tunnel you use your web browser to initiate the connection instead of a VPN client. As said earlier, try and google it a bit to check what will suit you best.

I would look at the units from Watchguard. We have had great success using them as an access point to a variety of systems. Q series, HMI, FX plcs all have sucessfully been accessed behiund these units. If you are dealing with multiple locations, they also have some really nice internetworing VPN features. Chuck

Thanks for the information chaps. The watchguard unit looks like something that will suffice, and at a reasonable price as well. The recommendation that they have been used with the hardware I'm looking at is exactly the type of thing I needed.

On 10/7/2009 at 3:42 PM, Bryanr said:

I have been asked to look into setting up a VPN connection to a clients site for remote troubleshooting. The main problem is I've had a search around and am utterly bemused by the different options out there, and wondered if anyone has done similar and can recommend some equipment. System is a Mitsi Q02 CPU with an QJ71E71-100 Ethernet card fitted in the rack. I would like something that would support the Native Melsoft connection for programming access using the standard windows VPN client connection. It would be a bonus if I can get at the E1101 also on the network. Any ideas chaps?

I have the same issue and facing this issue again and again, then i research on the internet and found https://www.bestvpn.co/dedicated-ip-vpn/ Page that gives a detail guide to avoid this in a future, it has many guides about VPNs and also offering VPN Deals for Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2018.

I have not used personally, but I have tested the system from Ewon VPN Systems.  They even have a Mits demo online to play with

I have used the Tosibox and the M-Guard (phoenix) and they are both quite good.

I've been using IPVanish but it's not quite right for me I'd say. So I decided to Cancel IPVanish and look for some other options. Luckily, a lot of them are available on the market.

Edited by Kirsnir