Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magnus O.

EIB / DALI / Crestron communication in Beckhoff

1 post in this topic

Hi all, We're designing a lighting system for a Beckhoff PLC that has several DALI and EIB modules. It also has a Crestron server installed, to talk to Crestron controllers. A company has developed a demo board for us, as a proof of concept, but this only works with one EIB / DALI bus. I've found that EIB library in Beckhoff has a basic and professional interface. The basic interface seems to have one major FB and several read/write blocks. It seems I don't have to worry about buffering, as long as I call the major comm block only once per cycle, regardless of the amount of read/write blocks used throughout the program. Is that correct? And there is a struct EIB_REC which is used by the FB's. I cannot find the (definition of) the struct in the manual. I've found that the new DALI V2 library in Beckhoff has build-in buffering too. It also seems to work with one major FB and several read/write blocks. It seems I don't have to worry about buffering, as long as I call the major comm block only once per cycle, regardless of the amount of read/write blocks used throughout the program. Is that correct too? Same on the DALI Str_REC struct as the EIB struct mentioned above, where can I find the definiton? Crestron uses ADS to communicate to a Creston server installed on the Beckhoff PLC. For crestron there is no major function block, but just read/write int/byte/real blocks. Is it true that buffering is done automatically here too (because of the ADS concept maybe?)? If so, can I just use several Crestron read/write blocks throughout the program, just like I plan to do with EIB/DALI? If all above on buffering is true, one could just use the DALI/EIB/ Crestron read FB's in FBD or CFC language style, to link an read input from EIB/DALI/Creston to some kind of needed function block, and link the output to another EIB/DALI/Crestron write FB? We'll have multiple of those kind of circuits in the program then. So one would not have to worry about buffering for all above things? Thank you for the advice! Edited by Magnus O.