Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris K

FactoryTalk View ME Alarm Import/Export

2 posts in this topic

Is there a way to import the alarms into FactoryTalkView ME. We are converting a FactoryTalk View SE bakc to a ME because the customer wants to use Panelview Plus terminals.

Yes, you can import alarms into your FTView ME application from an XML (plain text) file. Taking SE alarms into ME is not a simple task, as those alarm systems are functionaly very different in how alarms are configured/triggered. The following technote talks about moving from ME to SE. Not the direction you are asking about, but it highlights the differences: http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...p?p_faqid=32590 One important thing to note is that the import will replace your entire Alarms configuration for the ME application. It is not an append. In FTView Studio ME, right-click on the "Alarm Setup" in the application explorer tree and then select "Import and Export" Alarms.bmp However, the alarms in FTView SE are quite different, and are formatted differently as well. SE alarms are threshold based and are tied to a specific HMI tag. ME alarms are trigger based are are tied to expressions. Ex. An alarm in SE could be Temperature and will display the alarm message whenever the Tag value enters into the threshold zones (ie. from 45 to 52 would display message 1) 50C - 75C trigger Message1 75C - 100C trigger Message2 100C + trigger Message3 In ME, it is trigger based. So, the appropriate alarm will only be displayed when the alarm expression exactly equals the trigger value. You will have to create and expression manually to reproduce the threshold zones used in SE If TEMPERATURE >= 50 OR TEMPERATURE <= 74 Then 1 Else 0 Link that expression to Message 1 in the Messages tab of FTView ME. You may be better off just manually recreating the alarms in FTView ME, versus manipulating all the text in Excel. But if you want to try the Excel route: (1) First create a few alarms and messages in the ME application, then export that to an XML file (as above). That will show you what the format looks like. (2) In FTView SE, run the Tag Import/Export Wizard (from the Tools menu) and export the tag database. It will also allow you to export the Alarms, as they reside in the tag database. (3) Open the SE alarms in Excel, open the ME XML in a simple text editor such as Notepad. You could open the ME XML file in Excel, but unless you have worked with XML in Excel it will take some getting used to. (4) Recreate your alarm expressions in the ME XML format, then import into the ME application. Edited by Arlen Jacobs