Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BJR

GX dev. vs. IEC vs. Works

50 posts in this topic

Hi, I am waiting for an answer from my distributor but it's been way too long. I don't think I'll get a sure answer out of them. I am importing machines built in Europe to US and got a copy of the programs from my colleagues overseas. All of the relevant files have a .sct extension. I warned my distributor of my situation before purchasing and they thought that IEC designation was just the European version of the software. Well, yes it is, but I also cannot open these files. I'm starting to understand that these are also older files before the software dealt with projects and that may be an issue as well. Some of these machines go back to IEC ver 5!, but even the ver 7 offline files are a folder full of .sct files. Do you have any advice if I purchase Works if I will be able to open these files so I have a documented offline file? Let me know what other info you need... Also, now that I got online and saved the file in GX as a project, I am wondering if there is a way to import the comments from the other files. Since they are different file types I seriously doubt it but am trying to think of it from every angle. GX developer software just purchased latest and various Fx plc and one A2SH plc I'm dealing with... Any backup/restore feature or import feature that may help?? Edited by BJR

It's possible to import GX Developer programs into GX IEC Devloper but not from GX IEC Developer to GX Developer. GX Works is able to import GX Developer and GX IEC Developer programs however GX Works doesn's support A series PLC's

I'm glad you warned me about the A series! I would have been upset to find that out the hard way! When you say import, will that also deal with the comment I made about thinking these programs were developed before "projects" were used? I may have to e-mail one program to my vendor and make them prove they can open it before I buy anything

What do you mean with "before project we're used???" You can import IEC files two ways open other porject or import ASCII file. I haven't had any problems so far. If you wish you can post a project and I will test it for you.

The project comment is from my vendor becuase they have never heard of .sct files. I want to be careful here becuase I think they could be on to something. I got online with the one PLC yesterday, uploaded, and saved. What I see on my hard drive is a .gps and .gpj project file and some supporting folders with things like a comment file. However, the programs I have are just a folder full of .sct files. I'll try and zip up what I have and post it shortly...

ONe machine I am trying to support Wish I had the right software PLC.zip

Unfortunatly my version of GX Works(v1.16) only imports GX IEC project for system Q. Guess you should ask your distributer which version you need or show you a converted project. Edited by Gambit

BTW, I didn't mean to zip up both copies. It looks like the 80202v1 folder would be one copy of the program as it was built and then the Browser, Debug, Temp folders in the PLC folder are the latest copy of the program. Didn't mean to confuse with two programs but I'm sure if you can open it you'll figure it out. Anybody that is able to open it, would you mind saving it in some format that GX Developer can use?!

If you must have it in GX Developer format I guess some of us could download the GX IEC project to a PLC, and then use GX Developer to upload the project again..... I'm pretty sure this works, and I could do it (or Gambit could do it)....... I'm not able until friday, anybody else any sooner?

It is possible but you would get a compiled project which is hard to read. I would start working with IEC Developer. GX can be imported into IEC and has a lot of benefits like FB's.

Wait a minute! I found a printout of the program! But it is in some other format than ladder. I think I can follow it and I think I can use this to get comments for my internal bits. Off to start translating it to English! Still curious if anybody can open the zip file I posted and what you used to open it. I don't trust the Works software will work. My vendor won't bother to take a copy of this program to give to the factory. I just got off the phone with him again. I need to work with him so he will allow me to return GX Developer and buy a copy of Works maybe. By tomorrow I'll be calling Mit. directly myself.

You posted two projects. If you want I can make a PDF printout Print_Preview.pdf Print_Preview2.pdf Edited by Gambit

Excuse for the intrusion to the talk. The project, converted to last version GX IEC, is attached PLC_IEC_v7.zip

Hi Inntele. His problem is that he doesn't have GX IEC Developer at all (he only has GX Developer)..... Thanks for the contribution but I think you've misunderstood the topic a little.....

That's the printout I just found. Wish it was in ladder format but it's useable. That's what I will use to get comments until my vendor catches up with me and fully supports what I'm trying to do. Thanks

that is interesting that it is still many .sct files. Strange. I think that karre_t was on to something getting a PLC and two versions of the software involved but that is way too much work! At this point since I found a printout I appologize that I just need advice on purchsing Works version of the software and if it will open what I attached?

Dear 'kaare_t', I've understood the problem of 'BJR', but I agree with 'Gambit'. The conversion of IEC Project to GX Developer project is possible, but will lead to losing of some functionality. I think, more easy to find or to buy GX IEC Developer.

This may be true. If I understand the other posts, IEC will open my files. I do not plan on building any new equipment with Mitsubishi so I don't think I need also GX Dev support. Works promises both, but someone already has trouble opening these files with Works. Maybe I ask to exchange my GX Dev for IEC?

Hi 'BJR', I have not GX Works software, therefore I cann't check it, however, may be the files, which already converted to IEC v7, can be open with GX Works without any problem...

No. At this time GX Works cannot import GX IEC FX PLC projects. However, if you would like, I could take your existing project, convert it to a Q PLC, import it to GX Works and then change it back to FX PLC....... Regarding the A PLC, GX Works won't work on that. This would be no problem at all for me. The same with downloading/uploading the code to a PLC, it's done in a matter of minutes, the only problem is that you won't have the source files and the comments will probably not be uploaded in GX Developer..... Let me know what you want..... BTW do you speak Swedish (or any other Scandinavian) language? Inntele: Sorry, my mistake! Edited by kaare_t

Very pleasant

I have not GX Works software, therefore I cann't check it, however, may be the files, which already converted to IEC v7, can be open with GX Works without any problem... GX WORKS 2 don't open IEC project.

Yes, GX Works 2 opens IEC projects (except FX-Series)!!!