Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
j.brophy@corkillsystems

CP!L PLC UM protection not set from memory cart download

4 posts in this topic

Hi there I have a problem that i can't protect a the plc program from uploading when downloading from a memory cart. to be able to upload the program in the plc you have to turn off the protection which is fine but when you download the program in the memory cart to a new plc the protection is turned off. there is no sys49 function in the cp1l plc like that of cpm1a how do i protect my program upon downloading from memory cart. i guess that i can write a value to the system area to set the password some how possibly a move function on first cycle or something but to be honest have no idea of how to acomplish this and i guess it is not a reccomended thing to do. cheers jonathan c/- corkill systems ltd 5 tasman street opunake taranaki newzealand

1. Do you have a specific reason for wanting to protect the PLC program with a password? 2. You cannot write to the system area directly, CX-Programmer gives an error. 3. I can't find in the manuals don't specify how to set the password apart from via CX-P, it has to be there somewhere... 4. I have a thought on what may be able to do it, but don't have any hardware to test at the moment, will do so at the end of the week.

In CX-P right click on the PLC and open properties. There you can set passwords etc. Then click on PLC and select protection to enabl and disable protection there.

correct i can do that but there is someone in a different country we sell plc's to and i send him a downloader (memory cart) so that he can upgrade the program after upgrading the program the protection of the plc is unset. the problem is we would like to avoid any one messing with the program and possibly causing a major safety consern and giving our selves a bad name from someone else tinkering with our machine. also to stop copying it as someone could suck out the program and buy there own plc's and copy our machine. so i basically need the memory cart to be able to set the protection after a download as sparky above said possibly ysing a software command included in the program. i dont know if i set the plc protection and then download it if it maintains the protection but still wont help as if someone downloads the cart into a unprotected plc they can then copy or modify it.