Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smith_scott

Help with setting up devicenet

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys! I need some help! We have an Omron CJ1M-CPU13-ETN PLC which is installed with a DRM21 Devicenet Module. Being new to Omron, I am having trouble setting up the devicenet network. Currently the card flashes "HC" which from the manual says "Routing Table Error". Could anyone give me a crash course on Routing Tables, their purpose and how I go about setting it up for my network? On the deviceNet Network I have my robot and an SMC EX-500 DNet gateway module. Appreciate the input! Thanks ! Scott

Hi Scott, welcome to MrPLC.com! FYI this error has nothing to do with the actual Devicenet network or communications. This error means the CPU unit is unable to exchange data with the DRM21 because it can not identify it on the CPU bus as more than one unit is present which communicates to the CPU unit according to FINS messaging. That is why you need to define a routing table, so the CPU unit "knows" where to route messaging to this unit. See this post for some basic info on routing tables. Basically you would only have to assign a different local network number for every PLC module which can communicate according to FINS messaging. If they do not have this number assigned the CPU does not know how to route FINS messaging. I see you have a ETN cpu, this means you will also have to assign a network number to this unit. Do you have any other communication units in the PLC? Following is the procedure to assign a local network routing table. In CX-Programmer, connect to the CPU and set it in program mode. Go to Tools > Network Settings. This will open CX-Integrator. Just cancel the two popups windows. Now go to Tools > Start routing table You will see a tree with unit numbers 0-10. 0 is the CPU, and 1-10 are the unit numbers "slots" for the special I/O units. Unit number 1 is automatically claimed by the built in ETN module. Right click Unit 01 and select Insert CPU SIOU (Special I/O Unit). At SIOU details, enter a network number. This is just an identifier so it doesn't matter what you enter but lets say 1. Select OK. Select Yes. Do the same for the DRM21 and every other SIOU unit you have (only FINS communication modules, not analog units etc), specify a different network number for every unit. Again, this is just an identifier so whatever you like. When all units which are actually connected to the CPU have a Local network number assigned, transfer the routing table to the CPU (has to be in program mode). After transfer you get this message. Power cycle the CPU, and the error should be cleared! Hope this helps!

I appreciate your help! I am going to sit down this afternoon and see how it goes. I will keep you posted! Thanks!!!

Okay! I did as you said and now it looks like I'm doing much better! Devicenet Module shows the Node Address of 01 and the MS/NS lights are both green. Here is my setup DRM21 is Master at Node 1 SMC Gateway Unit EX500 is at Node 2 Robot is at Node 3 I've attached screen grabs of my setup! Both the gateway unit and robot are setup for 8 bytes. I have gone all over the software and can't find anything that needs to be setup any further. Am I missing something or am I good to go now? Would anyone have any programming examples to get me started? ie. In CX-Programmer how do I get and set I/O data to my nodes? Thanks!!!

Don;t over complicate the Devicenet setup unless required... YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUN THE NETWORK TOOL UNLESS U ARE USING USER ALLOCATION FOR IO ... DON't DO IT. RTFM on W380-E1-07 CS1W-DRM21/CJ1W-DRM21 DeviceNet Master Units Operation Manual - especially auto allocation section SECTION 4-3-1 fixed(auto) allocation, and scan lists. 1. Use auto allocation. 2. Set Master Addresss (generally I use 63, but in your case since you are using 0 we will assume node 0) 2. Assess the IO requirements of the devicenet slaves. for example from the manufacturer documentation IO Slave 1 requires 4bytes in and 2bytes out. 3. Map the IO requirements - Since we are using auto allocation 4 bytes is 2 words - ASSIGN THE SLAVE NODE ADDRESSES... In this case Slave 1 will occupy 2 input words. SO THE NEXT AVAILABLE SLAVE ADDRESS FOR AUTO ALLOCATION WILL BE NODE 3+ (NOT NODE 2!) 4. Understand where the data will be mapped too automaically RTFM.. 5. In this case NODE 1 Inputs (4 bytes) will be mapped to words 3301 and 3302 ... OUTPUTS (2 bytes) will be mapped to 3201 6. NODE 3 will be mapped to Inputs (4 bytes) 3303 and 3304 ...OUTPUTS (2 bytes) will be mapped to 3203 It is that easy. Omron has the easiest Devicenet Setup on the market bar none.

Awesome Documentation, Sleepy!

Device Net is SOOOO easy to set up with Omron. CompoNet is just as easy, faster, cheaper etc. When are some of the 'MAJOR' dills going to come on board?

Hi,

My name is Faiz & I am from Malaysia. Have some problem with my old SMC Gateway EX500-Gen 1.  I have been searching for the meaning of MS & NS on the device but still find it out. Apart from that, another problem that I have is the power indicator (PWR) which it did not lit up even though there is 24vdc supply going in. Most of the time when I shutdown the system, something will happen. Few questions that I guess I really need help :

1. What could cause the PWR indicator light not ON?

2. Why sometimes the device able to ON & suddenly later after that no PWR indicator & also all COM indicator OFF?

3. What could be the root cause that could cause this problem?

Thanks.