Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JM

AB to Modicon program question

6 posts in this topic

Hello I have done quite a bit of work with the Allen Bradley SLCxxx and Micrologix 1000 PLCs Now I have to look at a Modicon. In the AB world, an input or output uses a I:2/3 or O:4/2 to tell you what slot and number your working with. How does this relate to the Modicon where you have 100xx for inputs and 000xx for outputs? Thanks Joe

Hi... It's been awhile since I used Modicon. It was in DOS....heh. 10xx - Inputs 00xx - Outputs 30xx - Control Bits 40xx - Timers That about all I remember...

There is no direct relation. In the Modicon software there is a utility called I/O Map or Traffic Cop depending on the software package. The Modicon PLCs use free addressing, meaning you have to establish the addresses for each card in this utility. Your inputs will begin with a 1, your outputs and memory bits with a 0. Words of analog input are 3, and analog outputs and other word devices are 4. So your first input card can be 10001 thru 10016 or you can set it somewhere else. The only limitation is that it exist within the defined memory limits of the PLC (also adjusted in the PLC setup) and tat it begin on a 16 bit boundary. So you can't make it 10100 thru 10116, it has to start at 1, 17, 33, 49, 65, 81, 96, etc.

What kind of Modicon are you talking about? If you use the Modicon/Telemecanique TSX series inputs are %I X.Y and outputs %Q X.Y X is the position of the input/output card in the slot and Y is the number of the input/output in the card. João

The TSX does use different adressing systems...However i will go out on a limb here and say the most common modicon products would be there micro series 800 series and quantum...all use the 0,1,3,4 set of rules....

If your using a C984 or a modicon Quantum all addresses are configured based on a Traffic cop or I/O map You setup each module with the addresses you would like to use. all Input discretes are 10001 to how many you need Example 16 point input card could be 10001 - 10016 the next input card used could be 10017 to 10032 Output use addresses 0xxx1 to how many you have configured If your using inputs like analog they get addresses as 3XXX1 to what ever all 4XXX1 addresses are used for storage and many functions in logis like timers, counters and storage functions. Much like an interger N Files is used for storage.