Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Plc direct questions

33 posts in this topic

Does any of the automation direct PLC's offer indirect addressing like the AB SLc5/03? I have wanted to try them, but I need to be able to use pointers for the file and element.

I think that most of the Direct Logic CPUs support, what they call, "pointers". This allows you to indirectly reference another memory location. There are no files in the Direct Logic PLCs however.

The Koyo stuff has always worked. I had a out of the box SLC5/05 fault on initial boot and sent it in only to get billed by Rockwell for a brand new unit AND they kept the faulted one - because it was 1 month out of warrantee. On the hand, I had a Koyo 2 year old 250 CPU get fried from being half plugged into the base, sent it back to AD and they sent back a new one no charge. Allen Bradley better wake up and smell the coffee! As soon as AD comes out with their other processor, I bolting from Allen Bradley. Screw them!

Does AD have online editing?

There is no 'rung edit' like you have with A-B, Siemens etc. You can make program edits on the PC whilst monitoring the PLC. When you download the edits, the PLC output freezes and the entire program is written to the PLC. The data memory in the PLC is not changed during the on-line download. I don't think that the first-scan bit fires after this type of download but you should check the documentation if your program uses it. We just modified a complicated 405 program over a couple of weeks doing this type of download without problems. We weren't aware initially but editing some of the PID controller parameters requires the PLC to be in program mode (DL450). Hope this helps.

I built systems with AD (Koyo) PLC since 1994, I have many installation some of them is running since 1994 till now without problem. During run time editing you must know if you need to restart your PLC, You may make changes in stages that run only at start up. First scan coil activate only in first scan. I believe each PLC brand have its strong and week points. I managed to built 10 different full redundant system with AD and ther first is working for 8 years. As a system integrator it is a balance of ” client preference/ reliability/cost”.

Question on DirectSOFT32. I did a project in late December, which opened fine on my laptop at home. Both sites use the latest version 3.0c build 80. I went in to do a tiny change last week, and when I tried to open the project here at home on my laptop I got an error message saying that the version of software used to make the project was newer that the version I was currently running. This of course is impossible, since both sites are running the latest. Funny thing is that the December code still opens fine! So I wondered if it had anything to do with the file dates having the year 2005... Anyone see this and know what to do? Thanks, Jim

All AD PLC's allow indirect addressing. I have found the Direcrsoft software to be the easiest and most intuative that I have ever used. The hardware and software documentation is unparalled for completeness and easy of use. There is no other PLC line that I would rather use at any price. Bill Borst Alamance Control Services Burlington, NC