Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Cody

Wrong Revision For Communications

4 posts in this topic

I have an L55 and an L61 PLC that are going to be communicating over ENBT. The L55 I'm programming from scratch, but the L61 has already been programmed and set up with revision 17.2. I can't set up revision 17 on the L55 (it's grayed out). Since I can only go to revision 16 on the L55, when I try to add the L61 to the L55's Ethernet network, I can only specify the L61 as having up to revision 16 on it. So I have a couple of questions here. First and foremost, if I go ahead and have the L61 specified in the L55's Ethernet network as having Revision 16 when it actually has 17.2, will that cause communication problems? If so, as I suspect, what are my alternatives? Can I get Revision 17 on the L55 somehow? Downgrading the L61 isn't an option as I don't have access to the source code there. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

If your using functions in the L61 that relate to version 17 in the L61 that you need to communicate using your L55 then you will have problems. Otherwise, you won't have problems. How would you know if your using version 17 functions? If you notice on that spreadsheet, the ethernet devices are all set to version 16 and above so I think your ok. There is no version 17 ethernet card (enbt, en2t, etc....) except for these two >>>> 1756-EN2T Ser A rev 2.005 and 1756-EN2F 2.005. Make sure there not these two and you should be ok. If they are you would either change the Ethernet card or downgrade the ethernet card to earlier version. Of course this means you need access to the other processor source code. L55 only go to version 16, you stuck on that revision level. Look here tells u about revision levels http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/firmware.html Then select Control Hardware* — RSLogix 5000, ControlLogix I/O, Flex I/O, NetLinx Comm Cards, PowerFlex and Stratix Switches Sign in to the website shows u this which is a spreadsheet showing firmware to software revisions required for the card above. http://support.rockwellautomation.com/ControlFlash/

Controller types and firmware revisions are not checked by ControlLogix CPUs when they establish Produced/Consumed tag connections across a backplane or a ControlNet or EtherNet/IP network. In your 1756-L55 controller project, you can configure the remote 1756-L61 v17 controller as any type or revision of controller in the I/O tree. The only things that matter are the correct Slot Number and the source Produced Tags having the correct name that you designate in the Consumed Tag target connection and a Data Type that matches the Consumed Tag. I have done this with 1756-L1 controllers running v10 firmware and 1756-L63 controllers running v16 and the revisions made no difference; the controllers still communicated correctly across the Produced/Consumed tag connection.

I agree. From a protocol point of view, at this time at least, there shouldn't be any difference in the format of the packets.