Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Linne

Compact Logix L-32E

6 posts in this topic

Okay, got ten of these systems, configured identically. 1769-L32E Processor, several I/O's two of which are 1769-IF4I/A analog inputs. They are in positions 7 and 8 in all ten systems. Nine of ten systems are running fine, this is a new start-up. All running firmware 17.2. On this system, when placed into RUN mode, a major fault occurs. If I un-check the "Major fault on controller if Connection Fails in Run Mode" (of BOTH modules), the major fault does not occur, but the module status in the Connection tab of the Module Properties (Logix5k) shows "Faulted", alternating with "Connecting" and Shutting Down". The only "front panel" evidence of a problem is that the green I/O LED on the processor is flashing (green). The Status LED on the modules is solid green, "OK". The help file offers little help that I've found. Anybody have a clue? I may try to move the problem to another system over the weekend in an effort narrow down the suspects. Thanks, Bill

Just quick it sounds like your 1769-IF4's are faulted. Two Quick Thoughts 1. Do you have proper voltage and grounding to these IF4's? 2. Try the IF4's from a working system and vice versa. Infant mortality is still an issue with some AB Products.

Sounds to me like an intermittent communication problem. Look for loose connections with the card(s), or loose traces on the boards. I'll bet if you replace both cards and/or the one just before it (assuming that it's a bad connector on the card in position 6), that this will clear up the problem.

I agree with your intermittent comms diagnosis, but there is an A/O in position 9 that is working just fine. I'll probably disassemble and reassemble the entire rail over the weekend (Sunday), and swap some known good components into this system if need be. Just thought somebody may have run into this before. Bill

Problem resolved. Took the processor and modules off the rail and turned them upside down, tapping them firmly on a piece of clean paper. Not too surprisingly, some small specs of steel collected on the paper. Examining the mounting rail, I found chips there, too (much larger). None of the chips I captured seemed really large enough to be of harm, but obviously at least one of them was lodged in a bad spot. Upon reassembly, all works fine. Now to see if anyone actually admits culpability. All the craftsmen on this job seem to be "a cut above" the norm, but obviously this is not cool. I'll let the construction management firm sort it out. Bill

This sounds like a flex rack I had in a milling machine. The flex rack was in an ip67 enclosure, but I kept tapping metal chips out of "new" modules.