Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Foliver

Ultra 3000 servo drive

12 posts in this topic

I've got a problem with two Ultra 3000 drive in the same place ( 6 in total). It's an intermitent problem: it give me an E22 or\and E24 ( over Velocity\OverTemp ). The problem is that the thing is not running and i receive those errors. A motor and a drive have beeen change, the encoder cable is an Serie B made after the recall date from AB. The cable have been ring out and it working. It's not a question of parameter or anything like that because i've been testing the drive during the production all day( making it make long fast stroke whenever the system need that servo). no over temp. no over velocity. The ground have been test. the shield is connected ( both motor and encoder). the main ground of the servo panel is a #8 Awg connected on the main ground of the factory. The main transfo is a delta, but normally that should not do anything to the drive. Thank

By any chance, is anyone know another companie that will sell Encoder cable for a GSX30-0605-MTM-AB5-268. I'm kind of tired of changing Ab cable..... Thank

After searching a lot on internet, we have found that the communication between the drive and the communicate by Rs-485. After checking on the encoder pins, there is a 130 oms resistors. But When i'm checking on the drive pin it's giving me 12.3k . So i know tha t485 need his both resistor to work well, unless they have herractic and intermittent problem. have anyone had an idea on that? Thank

By tthe way, id there anybody who know how to set the Commissioning/Commutation Adjustment in the sercos card in Rslogix 5000 ? Thank

Check out this manual http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um001_-en-p.pdf on or about page 93 details Sercos Setup.

I've got several sercos setups but never had the "pleasure" of setting up the sercos. The OEM / SI always did it for me.

Well in fact it's not the first setup of that system. Ive been installing it about 2 month ago. everything was fine. but they call back because 2 servo drive was going in fault ( e22, e24 ). I was on another contract near of them so i end up here chcking that. Ive try the usaual stuff: changing Cn2 cable with another known as working ( those wire are serie C ), changing the cable going to the breakbox with one working, changing the breakbox, checking the ground system, remove every power cable passing above 6inch of the encoder cable. and the errors always coming from those two drive. we've change the motor, change the drive. Still happen. It can be ok for a day or two. or it can go in error every 1 hour. So i'm searching for something i've miss... It is really a pleasure to work on this, until it stop working! :)

After talking a lot with AllenBradley tech Support, they will wend a guy here to check what is going on with those two drive. i'll send you some news when we will get anwser....

Hi Foliver if you still watch this forum do you remember what the solution ended being for your E22 and E24 errors? I am running into a very similar problem.

Hi VernonAzuki,

I'm reall sorry that I never post the answer to the problem here. I'll try to remember evrything since it was 10 years ago :)
so in the sytem we in the system we were using, Ultra 3000 drive with with 3trd party motor, an Exlar don't remember the exact catalogue number. 

the encoder was coming from the motor to a green terminal that was connecting to the drive. 

we did all the standard test to fin what was going on, swap encoder cable, test, swap power cable, test, swap drive, test, swap motor, test.

we did not find a culprite, so I was pretty lost. 
In that period, there was a lot of defective encoder cable coming from allen-bradley. But what I learn latter was that is was not just the cable that was the problem, but the whole communication system in the motor/drive. So basically, wiht a ultra 3000 and an Exlar motor, the system need to have a higher "connectivity" between the drive and the motor than a system with a Allen Bradley motor. 

So the real problem was a close to the limit connectivity between the motor and the drive. It was either on the drive or motor side, maybe the green terminal, I am not really sure. 

But we fixed the problem by changing the encoder cable from Allen Bradley to Amphenol. here a link (not hte exact cable) : https://www.amphenol.com/node/1034

we started to buy them wiht both ends made in there factory. there was a longer delivery both we never had any problem after that. 

later, when we change to kinetix 6500 and 5700, we found that those were a lot more reliable on the connectivity and switch back to cable that we can do the terminal ourself. beacause delivery time and way easier to order a 90 feet cable and cut it than try to find the right length and order it 6 mounth in advance... :)

So If you do have the same problem and did all the test without any result, I would suggest to try an Amphenol cable. There is also a connectivity paste that can be apply to every connection to help, but it doesn't last very long....

Thanks very much for the reply Folivar! We have a Rockwell tech coming out to take a look and will let you know what we find out. I think it might be in manual motor tuning or error handling parameters but those are a bit beyond on local tech's expertise.