Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justwhy2003

Red Lion Data STation Plus

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any experience or heard of Red Lions Data Station Plus. We just had a demonstration from some sales guys and it seems to be a good piece of kit. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences good or bad with it. Justin

On my site we have a few Red Lion products, To sum them up they can be junk, then also be the greatest devices ever made. We have had several problems with the touch screens G306C (screens stuffing up, LCD going dull, poor QC in manufacture) When we first put our Data Station in, we had to reboot it every hour as it was that un-reliable. After i got hold of it and re-wrote the code to send SMS's it has only locked up once in 12 months. I use a G306C at my home for Power monitoring on the House, connected to a cheap panasonic PLC, I can access the unit via the web to check my power usage and also use the protocol converter to access the plc via my network (havn't tried over the web, but should work). We have a few different HMI devices on my site (Siemens, Ifix, Monitouch) as far as ease of programming Red Lion wins. The web interface is wonderful! The Software for programing is Reasonable The internal is as stable as the code written for it The hardware is Reasonable.

Thanks for the input. Ive since been using the Red Lion modular controller to data log from a few different PLCs and am planning to send this to a server for remote monitoring. I do find it quite easy to interface with the PLCs I have used so far but think I need to get a bit more experience in the programming to get the full advantage from the unit. I like the idea of using the system for monitoring the power consumed in my house and have been planning to do so in the future when I have a few industrial applications under my belt. Will keep posted. Justin Justin

I've used them quite a bit. Great products. Their array of functions gives you endless possibilities when programming!

Over the weekend, I took the modular controller home. I attached a CT to the Live input cable and using the 4-20mA output I was able to monitor the current consumption at any one time and also view an excell display of the consumption over time. Very interesting and very easy to apply esp with a split core CT.