Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

ISO question

10 posts in this topic

If your company is ISO cerfied and your an OEM.... When you release electrical drawings to your assembly team. Are those drawings stamped as CONTROLLED? Or does your company release the drawings as UNCONTROLLED? If you release the drawings as CONTROLLED, then I assume you are having to track revisions on the electrical drawings as your machine is built on your shop floor. However, if you have released the electrical prints as UNCONTROLLED, then you are probablly not tracking revisions on the electrical prints until after the machine ships then do you call that print REV 1? Or no Revision until after you make the first field wiring change? Can you describe to me if your ISO certified how your company flows electrical drawings to your assembly team?

I use to work for the company that went over this ISO9000 certification process. Before ISO we did not have controlled copies, and we released multiple "shop prints" for each person. ISO reqires to have only "controlled" copies of the print. No uncontrolled copies can be found on the shop floor. It was a real pain, because we mostly built machines with "reverse engineering" Engineering prints marked "for reference only" use by engineers sometimes allowed on the floor, but officially can't leave computer carts we used to program machines. This is kind of stupid procedure for custom builders and OEMs, especialy with electrical prints. What we have today? Company went out of business and I have as many copies as I want ;) Stupid waste of money and time

Just as an aside... I know of one company that went iso quite a while ago and goes through all of the usual painful documentation procedures with one exception. They pretty much ignore iso on the plant floor except for appearances. They've found that inspection consists of a rigorous viewing of records and written procedures in the office followed by a brief and shallow (inexpert might be a better word) inspection of the plant. It means that they implement the PM and other good ideas of iso requirements but don't get too hung up on anything they disagree with. It has basically been a good thing in that it has convinced them to actually do the things they think make sense (but might have had a hard time finding the money for without the iso excuse). Anything they think is counter-productive, they simply ignore. I'm not suggesting they are doing the right thing but, at least in their case, a small company can find wiggle room if it really wants to. Of course it could lead to a problem should inspections suddenly get more rigourous (like loss of certification).

Was that Masco?

No. A small local box and display manufacturer/packager. Not sure about the exact number of employees. At least 40 skilled including office plus maybe 20 unskilled/temporary. Basically a healthy, competative company whose market demands flexability and fast turnaround. Iso is a bit too restrictive in their opinion.

JimRowell: Panic mode was talking about my example: yes it WAS Masco. I dod not know that so many people knew Masco ....

Some how I was not logged in in the post above. JimRowell: Panic mode was talking about my example: yes it WAS Masco. I dod not know that so many people knew Masco ....

Tought so... (well it was a long shot...) I have a friend who used to work there and he mentioned friend who is in bussiness with cables. Once I saw http://www.plccables.com/shop/ and noticed somewhere that you are in Cleveland, it was not too hard to put 2 and 2 together.

Panic: is your friend a toll guy from Bosnia?

Tall is just one dimension , but yes that's him, say hello when you see him... Edited by panic mode