Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cmoyer

MicroLogix 1400 communications

11 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am trying to establish communications with a micrologix 1400 PLC without much luck. The tools I have on hand are: 1747-UIC 1747-CP3 1784-PCMK series B I haven't had any luck with any of the communication tools. The closest I have come to getting it to work was when I had the 1747-CP3 going stright from my COM1 to the db9 comm2 port on the 1400. I appeared to have communication but RSLinx wouldn;t recognize the device. Who else has had experience with 1400's and how do you usually establish communication? Thanks! cmoyer

If your ML1400 is new then its default comm for channel 2 is DF1. Your 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. It will only work if the ML1400's serial port is configured for DH485 protocol. Upgrade your version of RSLinx and you will probably recognize the ML1400. What ver of RSLinx do you have?

I just have the RSLinx classic lite ver 2.52.00.17 (CPR 9) that came with logix500. I am unable to upgrade software because I dont have the stupid allen bradley subscription. Thanks for your quick reply! I was thinking I was on to something when I could connect through port 2, but then it gave me the unrecognized device error and my hopes were dashed. I don't want to believe that I cant communicate with the 1400 just because I have linx classic lite , but it wouldn't surprise me considering this is AB I am dealing with. Any other suggestions? cmoyer Edited by cmoyer

RSLinx Classic Lite is free, registration is also free. See link below, click on software updates select RSLinx Classic scroll to the latest ve http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/downloads.html Edited by Mickey

You will also need RSLogix500 8.10 to support the ML1400 ( not free) Edited by Mickey

The MicroLogix 1400 is newer than both the RSLinx and RSLogix 500 software that you have. It has a new operating system, new instructions, and new features that are included in the updates to RSLinx and RSLogix 500. While you can upgrade RSLinx Lite without a TechConnect contract, you cannot upgrade RSLogix 500 without a TechConnect contract. The RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Free Edition works only with MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 controllers. If I were in your shoes, I would explain myself to your A-B distributor and he'd likely update your RSLogix 500 software for you. He'd probably explain the benefits you'd get from a TechConnect contract, too.

Thank you for all the helpful replies! I am now updated to linx classic 2.53, but the 1400 is still unrecognized so you guys gotta be right about needing updated logix too. Sigh, there are certainly pros AND cons to working with AB. I will give my rep a call tomorrow and see about an update. Thanks! cmoyer

The latest version of RSLinx Lite is 2.54 and available at the link provided above. http://www.software.rockwell.com/corporate/revs/ Edited by Mickey

There is a cheaper way, the software RSLogix Micro. I think i saw it listed at $129.00 per copy and only programs the MicroLogix family of PLC's. The downside is you can not have RSLogix 500 and RSLogix Micro loaded on the computer at the same time, it must be one or the other. Hope this helps.

Hello Dear All, I am trying to connect the usb to serial com port then to Micrologix 1400 plc. but when i go to relinx to establish the communication it says unable to open the communication port for configu testing? can any one help me please?

Assuming you are using a USB to Serial convertor make sure that the COM Port is set to the one assigned by windows to the convertor. Check in 'System' - 'Device manager'