Crossbow

iQ Works Q & A

277 posts in this topic

Structured text offers auto-complete of labels. So does basic ladder. For some reason, structured ladder does not yet. Hopefully they fix that at some point.

Haven't tried out structured text auto-complete but basic ladder does not filter on datatype which is an important part of intellisense. For example, i can attach a word variable to a contact or coil in simple ladder with labels. The editor will make no problem of that. Luckily the compiler will but this kind of errors should be caught by the editor. With proper datatype sensing, these errors would not be possible to make in any case. However, i do really like the auto-complete in simple ladder. It's fast and easy to use. It just needs datatype sensing and filtering. Structured ladder would probably benefit from this the most though. The whole variable selection procedure in structured ladder could be made a lot easier, faster and more powerful to use than what is available now. It would be nice if Mitsubishi added the same system as is available in simple ladder to the var pins, contacts and coils in structured ladder. However, they didn't make it easy for themselves by allowing the var pins to be detachable. I can imagine that this complicates the datatype sensing in structured ladder. So my point: offer intellisense (auto complete + datatype sensing and filtering) wherever it needs to be and make one unified system across the different languages (structured text, simple ladder with label, structured ladder,...). This would result in variable selection being completely the same in all ladders => easy for Mitsubishi to implement and maintain and easy for the user to use. Edited by Mitsu

"Only 1 MELSOFT Navigator session can be open at a time." This is awful, isn't it? Prefer using GTD3 and GXW2 without iQ Botch... Edited by djtron

it correctly

Only one session of Navigator can be open because it controls the system label database, and is reading and writing to the other packages. If not using system labels, you don't need Navigator. It's nice for project setup, but you can use the packages individually. I have had as many as 4 sessions of GX Works2 running at the same time. Didn't try to go farther but haven't been told there is a limit.

Hi, folks! I used the export function of iQ Works to export a plc program of an existing iQ Works project. In GX Works I still have all the information of System Label Database. How do I remove this information? I wanna use this GX Works project now without iQ Works. Maybe I could release it before export - but isn't there any way in GX Works as well (like in GT Designer it is a simple checkmark)?

Melsec Medoc Format is now possible!!!!

1.98C

djtron, I would remove the labels from the system label database before saving the project out of the Navigator workspace.

According to the release notes on 1.492N, it might (finally) have auto-complete of labels in structured ladder: Structured Ladder/FBD: When editing a variable or an instance name, the labels which can be entered are displayed The version isn't released yet in Europe so i can't check. The english version is available as an update on the Japan website but these updates aren't compatible with the european version.

Just Checked it. See below Edited by Gambit

I assume it doesn't have datatype recognition (filtering on bool/integer/real/... depending on the instrution)? Edited by Mitsu

Hi Everyone! I was hoping somebody could help me please - I've just started working on a project using a Mitsubishi Q series PLC for the first time, and programming using GX Works2. I'm struggling a bit to get used to the software and how difficult it can be to do simple things compared to other systems, but I'm sure this is just teething troubles! I was wondering though if it is possible to change the time base with any of the timer function blocks? I'm looking at using a number of timers with ranges up to 168 hours or so, and I can't work out how to do this? (they appear to be limit to around 3276 secs, 15 bit?) I would also like the timer to be retentative if possible? Thanks for the help!!

Timers are 16 bit based. You have two standard type timers in the System Q series. low speed and High speed Timers. By Default they are 100ms and 10ms timers. You can change this however in the PLC parameters. If you need your timer to be retentive you will need to use STxx timers. You will need to create some in the PLC parameters under the Device TAB. Edited by Gambit

I would use multiple timers and counters. Typical method to do it in ladder is to time for 60 seconds, count 60 of those to make hours, then count the hours. Use counters for all with the 1 sec clock pulse instead of a timer for the seconds.

Thanks for the help guys! We've used a timer/counter combination and that seems to be working fine, cheers!!

According to the Mitsubishi newsletter and promo flyers,the "all new" GX Works3 will launch alongside the new Melsec iQ-R series sometime next year. Edited by Mitsu

still there will be FX5 & GOT2000

FX5? They just finished launching the last of the FX3 models... I knew there was a new generation coming above iQ but had not yet heard an official name for it. Interesting. It's funny how they do version numbers. Someone needs to explain the concept to them. GX Works2 went from 1.98 to 1.492? And there will never be a GX Works2 Version 2? And why did GX Developer stay in the Version 8 range for 10 years?

The next generation of Mitsubishi products was announced at the SPS fair in Germany: - Melsec iQ-R (next generation Q, coming in 2014 with GX Works3) - FX5 (next generation FX, also coming 2014 i think) - GOT2000 - FR-A800 (next generation frequency drive, coming with FR Configurator2, which is iQ Works based) (coming december 2013 in Japan, spring 2014 Europe) More info is availabe at the Mitsubishi Europe website (inlcuding some promo flyers and a picture of the iQ-R). 2014 is going to be an interesting year. Edited by Mitsu

it is similar to siemens

why don't spread the full GX WORKS version.to whom the version for FX is necessary