Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
graemeian

Small PLC with simple screen

6 posts in this topic

A year or so ago, I saw a small PLC in operation. (~8input/~8output). This PLC also had a one or two line screen built into the system. I think it was an Omron brand, but I am not sure. Is anyone familiar with any brands that has this feature. I am currently programming Omrons. My water/well system uses two pumps and I am currently using a timer, some float switches and relays. I would like to switch to a small PLC and be able to display the amount of water usage by counting the hall pulses from a water meter. Any suggestions? Thank you.

It would be an Omron ZEN. These things are known as 'smart relays' which to me equates to 'dumb PLCs' - they are basically designed as relay/time clock replacements and are quite inexpensive. They are usually expandible if you buy the right CPU and cannot be programmed online. Good for very small, simple jobs. Some other brands, Mitsubishi, Schneider, IDEC, etc etc.

The Moeller Easy Relays have versions with screens. These are also marketed by Eaton (which owns Moeller) And by Allen Bradley as the Pico Line.

Phoenix Contact just came out with a small controller also. It's called the Nanoline. Never used it, but with all it's gadgets, it comes in under $1000.

Horner has a really nice unit called an OCS. You can pick them up from Omega. I have used several of them recently and have been pleasantly surprised. You can get them with up to 4 analog I/O and around 10 discrete I/O. They support Modbus RTU, ENet, serial comms.....pretty flexible and are user friendly. They start at around $450 and run up to about $1000 if you get all the bells and whistles. BTW-I have been a hard core AB guy for 15 years or so, I like these Horner units. Documentation is not as good but tech support is pretty strong.

Every major PLC maker has a line of the "Smart" Relays. Even Siemens has the Logo! line. For really small jobs they are real good. What your talking about you could use most any of them. Just make sure you get the one with the correct I/O voltage. You will probably want 120 vac for a home project.