Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brubingh

1761-Net-ENI and SLC 5/03

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1761-Net-ENI connected to a SLC 5/03. To make a long story short, I can't see the 5/03 on the network. RSLinx sees the Net-ENI in the AB_ETH-1 interface, although it usually displays Comm. error 01E00204, but not the 5/03. I'm assuming the comm error is because it can't find the 5/03, but maybe that is not so. RSLinx shows the right icon for the ENI and gives the Device Type as ENI. Here are the details: 1761-Net-ENI series A Used 1761-Cbl-PM02 to serial port on my laptop to configure the Net-ENI. No problems. Then moved cable to 5/03. RSLinx 2.40.00 sees the Net-ENI fine, but no 5/03. I forced the 232 Baud rate in the ENI to 19200 to match the 5/03. Still doesn't work. Message Routing in ENI-ENIW Util I left unconfigured since I'm not sending messages from the 5/03. I plan to use it to send emails but also want to be able to program over ethernet. I don't know what else to say, except that I can't program it over ethernet like I want to. I haven't tried to send email from the 5/03 yet, so can't say if that works. I know the ethernet works because I can ping the Net-ENI and it responds. I know the 1761-Cbl-PM02 works because I used that connected to my laptop to configure the ENI, so it should work to the 5/03 also. I have not verified that the serial port on the 5/03 works. That could be faulty. But I have it configured for DF1 Full Duplex, 19200 baud, No parity, 1 stop bit, node 0, No handshaking control line, CRC Error detection, Embedded responses Enabled, Duplicate Packet Detect Enabled, ACK timeout 50, 3 NAK retries, 3 ENQ retries. I noticed in the ENI manual that another series A ENI is required when connected to a PC in order to program Compact Logix controllers, but I think that only applies to Compact Logix, right? Thanks for any advice.

The problem is likely on the Ethernet side because of the 0x0204 error code. Error code 0x0204 is always a straightforward timeout. If RSLinx displays a red X over a device icon or the error code 0x0204, RSLinx cannot communicate with the device at all over Ethernet. PING is a simple connectivity test but it doesn't tell you everything. Try pointing a web browser at the Net-ENI's IP address to see if the device responds to HTTP.