Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thilban

MES Interface-it

21 posts in this topic

Has anyone used the MES Interface IT module, previously known as eMesif? I have been trying to get more information from Mitsubishi on its capabilities, specifically as an OPC server/client but have been unsuccessful. TIA

What would you like to know exacly?? Edited by Gambit

Can it act as an OPC server? Can it act as an OPC client? Which third party OPC servers does it have drivers for? Is there a limit to the number of PLC's the OPC server can connect to? Can it communicate with A-series processors over Ethernet or Melsec-net/10?

MES module has nothing to do with OPC servers . It is not OPC server nor client. PLC modules don't have drivers for opc servers, opc servers have drivers for plc systems. It is for sending or receiving data from/to database servers,ERP systems. It can relay data to/from other cpus(including A series) over ethernet,melsecnet,cclink.

I think Funrol is thinking about the QJ71MES96 module. The EMES CPU can do a lot more!!! http://www.ia-community.com/index.php?opti...iew&id=1246 EMES: Databases: SQL Oracle IBM DB2 IBM SIB IBM WMQ Drivers PLC RA ControlLogix PLC RA PLC5/SLC PLC Omron OPC Server OPC Client A Few functions: SQL: insert, batch insert, update, select, select with delete, select with update, stored procedure and count rows delete Messaging: Http, E-mail, TCP, IBM WebSphere MQ, MQTT, JBOSS Edited by Gambit

http://beijer.se/web/web_aut_se.nsf/alldoc...125707C004C93D8 Edited by KAZAH

Beijers have better,nice and clean interface for manuals. Thank you for the link. Edited by funfrok

I'm shocked to see MES Interface IT on Beijers website since it was not developed by or with them, it was developed by a US company. MES is for database access, such as Oracle or SQL. As said before, there's no real reason for OPC in this.

Funfrok, This concept is much more powerfull than you realize. Working from the control system to the office layer makes more sense, it's easy to maintain is much more cost effective than having a traditional system. OPC is slow and you don't wan't to use up all of PLC your memory for backing up data when communication with the server fails. But it can do so much more You should really ask for more info from your Mitsubishi rep. Edited by Gambit

FYI: Beijer's are Mitsubishi distributors and they also have the manuals in their website. They've also got some "Knowledge" information, PPTs, Start-up/How-To documents and some other stuff for many of Mitsubishi's products..... For those outside of Scandinavia and just know Beijer as HMI produces, there's also a big difference between "Beijer Electronics Automation" which are Mitsubishi distributors in Scandinavia, Finland and the Baltic states, and "Beijer Electronics Products" which produces the E/Exter++ terminals (and have offices in Germany, U.S., China ++++)! For any English speeking people I would recommend the English website, instead of the Swedish one, and this is the link to Beijer Electronics Automation (English site): http://www.beijer.net/web/web_aut_en.nsf/A...12571EE004ABB9D I would actually recommend searching that site for knowledge cases and for startups/How-To's for Mitsubishi equipment, since they don't require any registration or membership, everything is free of charge, and as stated earlier in this post, the search functions and browsing functions are easier to use (at least easier than most other sites I've tried to use for manuals/information and other). If you wan't info on the MES just search for it ("MES"). For the people reading this post I would just recommend the PPT on the MES module which would answer many of the questions related to this post. To find it: -Search for MES. -Go to "Knowlegde(1)" -Double-click "Information and How To, QJ71MES96 -Open/Save the ppt Edited by kaare_t

Just to be clear there are two Mitsubishi MES solutions which are talked about in this post: EMES & the QJ71MES96 Edited by Gambit

Im having a hard time understanding the difference between the MES Module and purchasing a standard ethernet module and a copy of kepware. I am working on a project that will monitor production between 2 departments. In the first department (stamping) we use mitsubishi Q PLCs and in the second dept (welding) we are using Omron. Currently, I have the welding dept all communicatin to a central Database via Kepware. I am about to begin the stamping side and am having a hard time determining if I should go with MES or ethernet/OPC?

The MES Interface IT is designed for direct connection into a server-based database, such as a database on a Windows or Unix server. Kepware is a software package to retrieve the data from the PLC. The MES module will connect directly to the database without the Kepware.

And what was originally called eMES is actually called MES Interface IT in the released product. MES Interface is the module for the Q rack, QJ71MES96. The MES Interface IT is actually a PC processor which installs into the Q rack.

I believe that Kepware does have the a bility to connect the items directly to a database via their datalogger option

But Kepware is software which must run on a PC. The idea behind MES is the PLC gets direct access to the database without additional computers and software which can be additional points of failure in a complete system. This removes the middle PC and OPC server and goes straight to the mainframe. That's the big difference between OPC and MES.

I think there's also an issue regarding performance..... I haven't used the module myself, but as far as I know the performance of the MES interface is WAY ABOVE any OPC server when it comes to pushing out huge amounts of data in a short time - and you've also got an internal memory which can buffer data in case the database server or network link should go down for a while.

I had a module here. direct read from the local Q PLC is very fast. 50000 Datawords to a DB2 Database is less than a second. If I read 50 000 DW from a connected Siemens PLC it takes me 2 sec from the Siemens CPU port. To read the 50 K from a connected Siemens interface is 8 sec. To read the 50000 DW with a OPC server (from the Siemens) will take 10 sec. and I don't have the store and forward function, that means in case of IT problems the datas are gone. The module is very fast to learn and I have a demo module with all drivers. Siemens, Rockwell, Mitsubishi. It make it very easy and flexiable to communicate to other PLC systems. Do someone has experience with the Rockwell driver?

I didn't know that the module allowed communication with other PLC systems. Please can you describe this function more? Or give the model number of the module and/or software? Regards

There are two different modules: 1. QJ71MES96 ("simple" module, does not allow for PLC-PLC comm. This only logs data to a database, with a backup memory ++) 2. I don't remember the name (I think it's something like Q13UDDEH or something), but it's actually a CPU, which also allows for OPC Server functionality (the module can do so much so I suggest reading about it in Mitsu docs).