Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlexV

Fanuc s-420s

5 posts in this topic

Hi, first post First, I'd like to say thanks to all the people who have contributed to this forum, this might be my first post, but it surely isn't the first time I've looked for (and found) an answer here. It is however, the first time I'm working with a robot, and I haven't had any training (yet), so if this strikes you people as being a newbie question, I apologize beforehand. I do have a quick start manual for the robot (not by fanuc though) and the karel reference manual. So, I'm doing a project that (amongst other things) requires my robot to fit a tube, into another tube. The robot I have is a rather old one: Fanuc S-420S (6 axis), used to work in a vehicle production plant, but is now used by me (I am quite excited by this opportunity). So, fitting a tube into another, I figured that's a linear path I need to teach, set the two points and make the program go from a to b. Well, I don't know if I did something wrong: I set the sysvar $MOTYPE to linear (in my case value: 7), and when I use the teach pendant, the tube stays horizontal but it goes up and down. And for the training I really need it to stay horizontal on a fixed height from the ground. Does anyone know if I can lock one or more axis', so that it doesn't go up/down anymore when I try to teach? thanks in advance for any replies. Alex.

Hello there. I have a few Fanucs at my plant and I have never had to set the sytem variable motor type for programming purposes. The only thing I do is, if I'm doing a linear move I just choose "World Coordinates" and go from point A to B and name as linear. The robot sets the straight path itself. Either vertical or horizontal. I assume you are using some sort of pneumatic gripper for the tube transfers?

Hi Alex, First thing is to check what controller you have there (it is controller that you should be concerned with, robot is just some mechanical contraption that responds to controller). Some controller manuals are in the download section: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?dlcategory=41 Next you need to become familiar with some safety. Use only T1 for teaching and stay away from robot. Don't stand in place where robot can pin you down or against wall, column etc. You should not change axis configuration, robot should calculate and perform linear or whatever move you need. For start, I would recommend reading manual and learning how to jog, change speed, change coordinate system. For example you can use world system (which has fixed X, Y and Z axes). but if this does not align with robot, look up frames (they are basically offset coordinated systems). To make manipulation of objects easier, learn about tool center point. This will allow you to move and rotate handled piece (tube) around point of your choice (such as center point of one tube end or whatever you find convenient). To make robot perform task, you need to write program. Simplest program is set of moves. Each move specifies type of move (linear, joint) target position (point) and speed limit. Once you start it, program will go from one point to another. You can arrange your own motion group so only some of the axis will participate in movement but you don't want this. just use linear moves as suggested before. Robot will take care of linear movement regardless where the two points are (horizontal , vertical or diagonal, doesn't matter). Ask questions if you get stuck and good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies, splicer and panic mode! Yes splicer, the gripper is pneumatic, the tubes stick about 40cm out from the end of the gripper. And I didn't know world coordinates had X,Y and Z axis locked to their positions, might come in hand some time soon. Well, to be more precise about the problem, what I do is: 1. set first point 2. move to second point 3. set second point repeat over the thing is, I have little maneuvering room, and when I move the tube forwards, it goes up and down, making it a tedious task to get to my second point. Maybe I don't know of a trick you guys use, or I'm missing something obvious about robots. And yes, the robot moves in a linear fashion once the points are set, so that's not the problem (yet ). Next time I'm there, I'll give you guys' suggestions a go, will also get the details of the controller .

When you chose coordinates it also changes the way your axis move. For example: If you are in "joint" mode, and you press Z+. The Z axis will move straight up and Z- will move down. If you are in "World Coordinates" the same buttons will move the robot in a totally different way with most axis's moving all together. Also, like panic mode said. If you use "Tool" and the last 3 axis's. The tip of the tool stays at a certain point and the rest of the robot moves around for positioning. You can use any coordinate system you choose when programming. You don't have to stick with one only. You can move close to the part in "Joint" and then switch to "world" for some more precise positioning. Then "tool" will give you even more precise movement. I attached a pic of an RJ2 controller. It looks very similar to the RJ and RJ3. The newer RJ3 controllers are a more windows based controller. Hope this helps you some.