Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hdbob1340

Message from 1761 net-eni to 1756 enbt

12 posts in this topic

Help Forum! I am having trouble with a communication path for a message originating in a compactlogix controller to a 1761 net-eni to compactlogix controller with a 1756 enbt built in ethernet port. I can message out of the latter controller to the net-eni controller (I have others with net-eni's) with this path: LocalENBT, 2, IP address, 3,1. My net-eni has the processor with the enbt addressed at node 49 with just the IP address. If I enter the path as 2,49 I get an error "messaging connection lost". What am I missing?

I could be off base here but I let me see if I understand this correct. 1. You have two Compactlogix PLC's call them PLC_A and PLC_B. 2. PLC_A has an ENBT module and PLC_B has a NET_ENI for ethernet. 3. Messages from PLC_A to PLC_B are not and issue. 4. Messages from PLC_B ot PLC_A will not work. I thought you set up a DF-1 message to and from node 49 and the eni contained the IP inofrmation.

Do you have a tag name for the Message? Go to the MSG in the tag database >right click > Configure > Tag tab ....The message type needs a tag name...Example "Data to PLC_A" like Bobs example above... Under the Communicatoin tab > Path: Pick the "Browse" button... should just "Pick" the PLC you are "talking to"... see if its there??? ......Check Connected and Cache Connections.... Configuration Tab CIP Data Table Write Source Element...Create a Tag ; (Use the New Tag Button) To_PLC_A > Type : Produced > Connection 1 > data Type : Real Style : Float Edited by jimdi4

Your Communication Path (within the Configuration Tab of the MSG block) will read something like: LocalENB, 2, 192.168.28.1, 1, 0 If memory serves, this basically translates to "Go out the Local ENB, travel to 192.168.28.1 where the ENBT is in slot 1, then to the processor in slot 0. Use a CIP Write (or Read, as appropriate), and you should be good to go. Bill

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopi...7&hl=iamjon ^this is for a micrologix net-eni to enbt (clx, same as should compactlogix) It may not be exactly right, but the discussion may help you figure yours out.

Thanks for your replys so far. However, please look at my original post again. I CAN rout messages FROM my clx with the ENBT to my 1761-NET-ENI's and to their DF1 attached clx processors. What I haven't been able to do is route FROM a clx processor through DF1 to the 1761 NET-ENI to the clx with an ENBT. I DO have all the correct message tags that are required and I want to write to the ENBT processor. The 1761 NET-ENI has the IP address of the clx with the ENBT at node 49 as per NET-ENI manual (clx with ENBT's must be addressed at nodes 45-49). It seems like my message routing should just look like 2,49 but this does not work. Since I CAN message to the NET-ENI's FROM the the ENBT processor, maybe I should just do a read message instead of a write from the NET-ENI. I WOULD like to write to the ENBT if I can get this communication path figured out. Has anybody messaged to an ENBT from a NET-ENI like this and, if so, what is the communication path?

I've never routed a message going from DF1 and out. I've always gone the other way. I think you are close on your path. Assuming you have the table in the ENI setup correctly then 2,49 will only get you to the ENBT. Try this: 2,49,1,0. Adding the 1 tells the MSG to go out backplane of ENBT and the 0 tells the MSG to go to slot 0 of backplane.

The 1761-NET-ENI is really meant for use with SLC/MicroLogix controllers and has more limitations when you use it with Logix. The destination IP address is usually the target itself. The SLC-5/05 and PLC-5E, for example, directly process Ethernet messages that arrive at the port. When the target is a ControlLogix, the message needs to have a Slot Number so the 1756-ENET/ENBT/EN2T can route the message to the correct controller in the backplane. The 1761-NET-ENI can only send messages to ControlLogix controllers that reside in Slot 0. That value is not changeable or settable in the 1761-NET-ENI. Are you performing a PLC/SLC addressed write in the CompactLogix, or a CIP Data Table Write (a native Logix tag) ?

This is somewhat of a tangent, but I am currently trying to message from  a micro820 to a SLC 5/03 (via 1761-NET-ENI ser. B).  In the 820 manual, there is a CIP generic message example that gathers the CatalogID of the device at a particular I address.

My micro is 192.168.10.23.

My 1761-NET-ENI is 192.168.10.22.

I can get online with both, and I see both processors in Linx.  However, when I execute the example code in the micro, the CatalogID is not the SLC, but the 1761-NET-ENI.

All I need to do is write an ASCII string to the SLC 5/03.

Welcome to the Forum !    

Ideally, set up a new thread for this new topic;   the existing thread involves different devices and different commands, and it's nearly eight years old.

I'm not sure you'll be able to send an ASCII string from a Micro 820 to an SLC-5/03 via a Net-ENI;  that's an unusual requirement.  

Go ahead and create a new thread, and point to that example code in the Micro 820.

Thanks Ken.

I'll do just that.  Though, my plan is not looking very promising...