Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swbrown

Using 1747-UIC on 1746-BAS module with Hyperterminal

12 posts in this topic

We have a storage and retrieval system that we bought second hand. It has a SLC505 with a DB basic module (1746-BAS) which is used to monitor 2 RS232 lasers for horizontal and vertical position monitoring. I need to get a copy of the program from the Basic module for backup. I found through a search where you can use a RS232 cable and Hyperterminal to get the program, but both RS232 ports are in use. I have a 1747-UIC adapter and was hoping I could use that. I have used many of the RS platforms, but have no experience with DB Basic or Hyperterminal, so treat me like I am dumb. Thanks

The 1746-User Manual should give you enough info to get started, Check it our first.

I have looked at that manual, but there is no mention of the UIC adapter or Hyperterminal. The RS site has a link for using Hyperterminal, but the link is being modified or something - might be that they are trying to sell the 1747-Pbase software. I am hoping to avoid purchasing just for this one backup. Also, from what I have read, it may not even work on windows XP.

In Appendix A are the settings for JW4. Turn off power. Pull the module and note JW4's setting. Change it to the first setting to change PRT1 to the program port. Using standard RS232 connect (its the same cable as you connect to the CPU using RS232 DF1). Use Hyperterminal to connect. perform a LIST and save the file. Turn off power. Put the jumper back to the original position then turn back on.

If you don't already have a USB to RS232 convertor and need one the 9300-USBS kit is under $25 and vetted with all their product. have been using one for a little over a month now and very pleased with its performance with an HP Elitebook 6930 laptop.

The 1747-UIC only supports DH485 protocol, while you need ordinary ASCII in order to perform a LIST function on the 1746-BAS. You'll need a general-purpose RS232/USB converter like the 9300-USBS or my favorite, the Keyspan HS-19. One wrinkle is that waay back in the day the 1746-BAS module could do some messaging with the PBASE software and the in-built PIC driver for DH485. This doesn't have a ghost of a chance of working with Windows XP or the 1747-UIC module.

That's all very helpful. I will try changing the JW4 settings as soon as I can. Just wish I had researched this a bit more before I bought the 1747-UIC module.

I am still struggling with this card. I have communication with Hyperterminal. When I press Ctrl-C , I just get a Ready prompt, and when I List, again I just get a Ready prompt. If I type ROM, then list I get: 10 Push 8050H 20 Call 116 30 End This can't be all of the program can it? In the Basic Programming manual, there is no mention of Call 116. This card takes a signal from RS422 devices (laser measurement) in both port 1 and port 2, and sends it to the SLC as inputs. Edited by swbrown

This sounds reasonable. Push is putting a value onto the system stack. Then the call is jumping to an area in memory where a binary (not BASIC) lives. If this is indeed your program, then what you are after is a binary. I have no idea how you'd suck that out.

You're right that CALL 116 doesn't appear in the documentation. 115 and 117 sure but no 116. Without documentation it's hard to know what that represents. Only the original programmer, I'd suspect, would be able to provide that. Paulengr is probably right. The routine called may have been written specifically in assembly by the programmer with the CALL 116 being the only tie in with BASIC. Unfortunately, if anything happens and you can't get the original, you are in for some fun BASIC programming. Starting getting all the information about the LASERs right now. Get with your AB distributor right now on the off chance that CALL 116 is some special, rarely released function. But don't hold your breath. Edited by b_carlton

I was thinking that I would buy a cheap 1746-BAS card, on Ebay, and try it with the program Edited by swbrown

Paul put his finger right on it; the BASIC program is loaded from ROM and consists only of a pointer and a call to run the "real" program executable , which was probably written with the C Toolkit. This is a rare thing; A-B didn't even sell the C Toolkit. Instead it was sold and supported by the original designers of the 1746-BAS module, OnLine Development Inc. (OLDI). Since you're doing this for backup reasons, I suppose you only need to extract and re-load the program stored in the ROM. OLDI is your best bet, if they can provide support for this venerable platform.