Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brubingh

PLC2 6200 software

6 posts in this topic

I have a customer with a couple PLC 2's. They have the ladder for it which was written using 6200 software. They do not have 6200 and neither do I. I have A.I. software for the 2. The A.I. will convert from 6200, but it asks for a .TXT file, which is not in the list of files from 6200. We have converted the ladder fine, but it has no descriptors. Does anyone out there have 6200 software and would you be willing to open this ladder and make sure it has descriptors? If so, can you use the 6200 software to make the .TXT file that the A.I. software needs? I've put the ladder on my web server, so you can download it and see if you can read it in. You can download it from: http://www.rubeautomation.com/downloads/903205.zip I'd be most grateful if you'd email the .TXT file to me at b.rubingh at the domain listed above (rubeautomation). Please post here if you'll do that so multiple people don't repeat your efforts. Alternatively, does someone know how to make that text file using the 6200 software? Perhaps I can find someone else who has it so I can instruct them on how to make the .txt file. And, before you suggest it, I know they should update to something more modern. Been there. Thanks, Bryan Rubingh

The other day when I saw this I thought I can do that, get out the old laptop, couple of minutes all done. Old laptop was dead...... 2nd backup very old laptop also dead......oh christ how will I support those old systems Anyway out of dispair I've managed to create myself a virtual pc using an image of the hard drive which is how I've created your .txt, I'm now just wondering how far I can go with this and whether I need to get another old laptop off ebay to sit in the cupboard and then find it has died when I need it! 903205.TXT

Don't forget to test the communications. I tried this before and could not get it to communicate. The old drivers are based on 16 bit buses. All the new PCs and Operating systems are based on 32 bit or more.

Yeah. I didn't tell the whole story. I had an "old" 450 MHz PC sitting around that has ISA slots in it so I could use my KT/B card in it. It had Win 2000 on it and I'd used the KT card with a SLC 5/04 so I figured I'd get the PLC2 cable, boot to DOS, and be all set. I brought it to my customer, who has 3 PLC2 machines. On 2 of the machines I kept getting the error: PLC2 is not in program mode On the third machine I got an error that the cable was not connected. After a couple hours trying different settings I gave up. I said I'd go to another customer later in the week and connect there and compare with their PC as it was very similar to mine. Next day I got a call that the third machine I'd tried to connect to was now dead! To make a long story short, I tried my card and cable in another PC at the other customer and found that my problem was my PC. I put the card in an older PC (200 MHz) and it works fine. NOTE - I say "it" works fine. The card worked fine before, I suspect that the "it" *really* refers to the AI software and the KT driver in the software. I suspect some timing problem with the faster PC. As for the "dead" PLC2, I just re-initialized memory, downloaded the program again, and everything is working fine (at least for now). Thanks SO MUCH for the text file. It is greatly appreciated. Bryan

This is true. Virtual PC CANNOT be used to communicate. A program running from virtual pc is not allowed to access the computers communication hardware. I've tried this myself. FYI. I'm glad someone could help with the text, I have AI for PLC2 and PLC3 and 6200 for PLC3 but not PLC2.

I did not use a DOS window or virtual DOS. I actually had DOS 5.0 installed on the machine. It simply would not work on that 450 MHz PC. Bryan