Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mezc

Can I change the gateway online on a 1756-ENBT/A ?

6 posts in this topic

Can I change the gateway online on a 1756-ENBT/A ? I want to have access to the PLC but the eng station is in a different network and for that I place a xp windows PC as a router to connect both LANs, but I need as well to change the gateway in all the PLC while they are in production. LAN A - [xp router] - LAN B where the xp router is my new gateway IP My questions are Can I do it without causing any interruption? Is there any risk or anybody had a crash experience while doing this kind of change? How should I change the RSlinx to browse in a different network where the PLC is (from A to B)?

Your doing something I never had to do nor even tried but I did some browsing and found this link...Not necessaruy AB stuff but maybe you cvan get the jist of it... http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.p...p;Number=170562

Let's see if I can understand this? You have a PLC on a production network I'll call this subnet 192.168.30.X with Gateway 192.168.30.1. You have an engineering station on an engineering network I'll call this subnet 192.168.11.X with Gateway 192.168.11.1. You are introducing the XP PC with two nic's one on submet 30 and the other on subnet 11.

You can change the gateway address while online, but whether it is a good idea or not will be dependent on what is going across the ENBT. What danger is there is communications ceases on the ENBT?

The 1756-ENBT will stop all of its current connections when you change the IP address, subnet mask, or default gateway settings. If it is bridging I/O connections, those will break. If it is communicating with HMI or other monitoring software, those connections will break. They should all re-establish automatically after a few seconds. This action will fault the controller only if you have configured I/O connections to fault the controller in the event of connection loss during run mode. That setting is done with a checkbox in the RSLogix 5000 configuration for the controller and is not the default setting. The RSLinx Classic "EtherNet/IP" driver relies on Broadcast packets containing the "List Indentity" command for EtherNet/IP, so it usually works just on the local subnet that your computer is on. You can identify the remote subnet to attempt to send the broadcast packets to it, but in my experience most routers don't cooperate. Instead, just use the "Ethernet Devices" driver and put in the IP address of the controller on the remote subnet. The TCP protocol will happily transport that across routers, over mountains, and under oceans.

I've even known it to bounce off a satellite or three