Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justwhy2003

interfacing Fx3u with various additional I/O

15 posts in this topic

Hi Ive just purchsed the following: 1 x Fx3u-128MR/ES 4 x FX2n-16EX-ES/UL 2 x FX2n-8AD 2 x FX3U-4DA-ADP Is there any order in which i should attach the additional I/O to the Fx3u bas unit or doesnt it matter. Ive also never used ADP, is there anything i should look out for. Thanks Justin

Hope you also bought a BD board or you won't be able to connect the ADP modules

i have a Fx3u-232-bd board. will this do the job? i had thought that was where i was going to conect to my processor for SCADA interface...

Hmmm seems i jhave a new problem. My Gx developer doesnt have Fx3u as an option for a PLC type, it only goes up to Fx2n©. Can i download an upgrade or am i going to have to pay for a newer version??

You'll have to for pay an update. Edited by Gambit

Hi. Regarding your initial question: It doesn't matter which order you put the modules. Personally I prefer to put the digital modules (e.g. FX2n-16EX-ES/UL) first, then special modules (e.g. FX2n-8AD). The digital modules do not interfere or change the adressing of the special modules. To start with the digital modules: They will start at the first octet after the last unit. I don't remember the last output of the 128MR, but say that the last output is Y57. Then the first output of the first digital extension would be Y60. If the last output on the PLC is Y67, then the first output of the first digital extension would be Y70...... The same applies to any additional extension modules, you start at the first octet after the last digital output. The special modules (on the right hand side) will have module adresses, and they start at 0 as always even if you put any digital extension in front of them (you can adress any special module as you would have done without any digital extension). The ADP modules are quite easy to use. If you have analog modules (AD, PT, TC...), each module has it's own area in the PLC, with direct access. You should check the manual to check which data you can modify (to set up the module as you would like), and which data you can read/write the actual values from/to. If I remember it's: Module 1 = D8260-D8269 + M8260-M8269 Module 2 = D8270-D8279 + M8270-M8279 Module 3 = D8280-D8289 + M8280-M8289 Module 4 = D8290-D8299 + M8290-M8299

thanks for the I/O info. What version of GX developer do i need for programming FX3u? Whats the difference in FX3u and FX3uC?

I'm not really sure which version you would need to program the FX3U. Mitsubishi added support for the FX3U quite some time ago, but I'm not sure at what excact version number. I think you'll have to pay for an upgrade, but then again; you will get the newest version available.... The FX3UC is simply a "Compact" version, but it's the same CPU. There's no difference in programming the standard or the compact type. In fact, when you select the PLC type there's no option for selecting FX3U OR FX3UC. The selection is "FX3U( C )" pretty much the same as the selection "FX2N( C )"! However, there's some differences when it comes to the physical layout and/or extension modules: -There is no screw-terminals (is "screw" the correct word???): You have to use a cable from the main unit to some kind of connection unit. -You cannot connect any of the BD-cards: You have to use ADP modules only (you can use 2 communication ADP modules). -You need a converter if using modules on the right hand side: The bus-connector on the right hand side does not match the standard extension modules (e.g. FX2n-8AD). You have to buy an extra module, I think it's called "FX2N-CNV-IF" - I'm NOT sure if this is the correct name, but you need an extra module. You can take a look at Mitsubishi's information: http://www.mitsubishi-automation.com/index.html Just click on the "Compact PLC", and then check out the differences between FX3U and FX3UC

Gx_dev.bmphere is a print screen of the PC options i have in my GX. If i go with the Fx3uc should it program my Fx3u or does a later version of GX have 2 different options for PLC type i.e. Fx3uc or Fx3u?

FX3U and FX3UC are the same option, added in version 8.25. Also, you're close on power supply. Each FX2N-16EX requires 100mA of 24VDC from the bus. You've only got 600mA available, so 2/3 is used. Hopefully you are providing the power to the 8AD and 4DA modules from another external power source, as this load would be too much when added to the other internal power draws. Keep in mind the 24VDC supply on the PLC is also from this internal voltage, so don't wire it to the analog modules.

ok thats good about the FX3U©. I did notice the 24 vdc power supply to the 8AD and 4DA modules. Ill connect an external 24 VDC from a seperate power supply. Does this mean that if for some reason the FX3U was powered up before the external 24 VDC that there could be an excessive power requirement from these analog interface units that could damage the FX3U. That would be bad...

Ok, i think i miss understood earlier. if the FX2n-8AD is connected directly to the FX3u or to an additional FX2n-16ex unit it doesnt draw current from the PLC via the ribbion cable connection (like the FX2n-16ex), it requires an external 24 VDC to operate and this can come from either the 24 and 0 VDC terminals on the FX3u or a seperate 24 VDC supply. If there are too many FX2n-8AD units connected to the FX3u, the service 24 VDC from the terminals will not be able to supply all the units (over 600 mA) and the seperate power supply will be required. I was worried that the power could be supplied via either an external supply or the ribbon cable connection and in the failure of the external supply, the units would draw excess power from the ribbon cable (potentially over 600 mA) and damage the FX3u. Does anyone have any comments on this. Does what im saying make sense?

If the extension block/special unit has an 24VDC power supply connection, then that specified unit will not draw 24VDC from the ribbon cable.One small but important addition to any other previous post: FX3U-16 / FX3U-32 = 400mA available FX3U-48 and above = 600mA available

"If the extension block/special unit has an 24VDC power supply connection, then that specified unit will not draw 24VDC from the ribbon cable." thanks but your last comment still makes me think that if for some reason the external 24 vdc supply failed, the additional cards may draw power via the ribbon cable?

If you look at the front of the 8AD, you have a led "24V" - This indicates if the external 24VDC is present. In other words, if this led is not lit, then the external 24VDC power supply has failed. You also have a led "POWER" - This indicates if the 5VDC (supplied in the ribbon cable) is present. In other words, if this is not lit, then you have a problem with the 5VDC on the bus/ribbon cable. The 8AD module will not draw 24VDC power from the ribbon cable. OK? -By the way; you can test the 24V led by simply disconnecting the external power supply from the 8AD. Edited by kaare_t