Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ianbuckley

Training materials for beginner

12 posts in this topic

We have recently hired a new electrical technician. He can do all of the electronic repair work we need, but he is struggling with understanding control schematics and how they relate to real devices. I am looking for some resources for explaining the basics of how industrial devices (relays, solenoid valves, proximity sensors, push-buttons, selector switches, etc.) work and how to read schematics and understand the purpose of each circuit. I know some of the catalogs provide decent material in this regard, but I was hoping to find one resource that covered the very basics, sort of like "Industrial Control (Devices and Schematics) for Dummies". Does anybody know of such a resource? Thanks, Ian

I think a good resource would be a product catalog. Something like the Allen-Bradley line. You could look up just about everything you just mentioned and it would give you the wiring schematics and breakdowns of each component. Plus sensor wise, it will tell you all about the different varieties of sensors. Capacitive and what it can sense; powders, liquids, plastics. Inductive proxes that sense metals etc. etc... Then you could do a search on goggle for industrial wiring and component schematics.

I would suggest the book by Hugh Jack. Available for download from the home page of this website.

Try here... http://automation.usa.siemens.com/step/default.html

That siemens training link is pretty cool...

Agree, thanks for the link.

The Siemens link (especially the basics of control components) is what I wanted. Thank you. Ian

Thanks Crossbow. We just hired a new Service Tech and this can be real handy.

Sounds like you didn't hire an electrical technician to me if you need to explain what a pushbutton is.

I suppose if you want to get into semantics, we hired an electronic tech and are trying to train him to be an electrical tech. He has shown good skills troubleshooting board level component repairs. We need him to be able to understand whole control systems. There aren't a lot of industrial electricians/ electrical techs looking for jobs around here from what I can tell. We looked pretty hard for 7+ months before hiring. I know one local plant that took 6+ months to find a replacement for a guy who retired and another that has been working shorthanded for several years because of a lack of qualified applicants.

If you paid relocation (I realize that's a bit extreme for a "low end" job), I can fix you up easily since a plant in the Philadelphia area just closed down and laid off almost a dozen electrical technicians permanently.

We were not interested in paying for relocation. I can't speak for the manufacturing plants. The one plant that has been shorthanded for so long is Ball Metal Beverage Container Corporation (their Golden, CO plant). They manufacture aluminum cans and can lids. If you know someone interested, you should have them investigate. Their main line is 303-279-5501. Their address is: Ball Metal Beverage Container Corporation 4525 Indiana Street Golden, CO 80403-1850