Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
don

RSLogix 5 & 500 Problem

5 posts in this topic

Is anyone aware of a problem with RSLogix 5 and 500 (both are version 6.00.00)crashing while doing online edits? By crashing I mean uplanned termination of program, no chance to save, loss of work, etc. It only happens when doing online programming (DH+) and seems to happen mostly when doing a large amount of edits. Hard to pin down, but it seems to have more to do with cutting and pasting either logic or rung comments. Seems like the more you do, the worse it is. Two different people with two different computers (Windows XP Pro with a Series A PCMK; Windows XP Home with a Series B PCMK). Also, we have seen it on three different DH+ networks. I see that there is a program update out there, but have been unable to download it due to problems at A-B's website (DNS errors). Also, we're using 2.40.01, Build 16 of RSLink. Just curious if anyone else has seen this.

Hi I have heard the RS500 is not running well under XP, also I have had the same problems using Windows Me, 98. Make sure your Virus Software is diabled when using RS Logix and minimize the number of background programs running. Hope this helps a bit. Mark

You may want to look at a possible hardware conflict with your PCMK card. We have seen this with a DeviceNet PCD card. We were running RsLogix 5 Version 6.00 and had numerous crashes whenever the PCD card was in the laptop. If you can get online and stay online using another communication protocol, you might want to look at the PCMK card as the cause. Just my 2 cents worth. Hal Bishop Automation Technician Greenway Electric, Inc.

Always had a problem with cut and paste. Select one contact on a rung and ok. Select one or more rungs and ok. select two or more contacts on a rung and when you paste you can kiss goodbye to logix. Saying that it was in an early version of logix and because of the problem I have't tried it since. Rockwell weren't able to shed any light on it but it was quite low down on their priority list. Hope this helps

I use XP (just switched from Home to Pro edition few months ago) and RSL500 was/is running just fine with or without DH+. And I do use masive editing when making upgrades etc on running equipment... Anyway, here are some toughts: Did you try to run some hardware tests to ensure memory and CPU are all ok? In the past six months I've found memory problems on couple of PCs. Removing affected module solved the problem. Simple test that cost's nothing is to start many instances of large applications so that system memory will be completely used up. If you have hardware problem, any program will crash your PC. If you want to invest a bit you can buy Microscope (chances are your local PC shop is using it to test their equipment). Once you prove no hardware defects, check for resource conflicts. Maybe you just have bad cable? I see the PCMK connectors broken quite often. (Some maintenance guys would rather blame it on not-working hardware than try to use it and fix the problem...)