Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neilr216

NEED HELP ! SLC504/DH+

5 posts in this topic

Limited experience with SLC/Panelview and have been unable to retrieve support information from Rockwell. 1] Adding a PV500 Panelview with DH+ to an existing control system. Original PLC processor was a SLC503 OS302C and substituted a SLC504 OS402C with DH+ port Installed processor on backplane, downloaded program - no faults indicated - in run mode - but no coil on any rung is energizing - this includes module outputs. Does anyone know what the problem(s) could be? 2] Assuming that the above problem can be solved and the processor starts working, I want to know if I need a 150 ohm terminating resistor on both the PLC DH+ end and the Panelview DH+ end? I have terminated the correct shielded cable to the correct terminals at both ends. Thanks, neilr216

PV500? Can you provide the complete catalog number of your PV SLC5/04 OS402C? Are you sure about the OS number. For question # 1, post your code ( your .RSS file) and someone can take a look. For question # two a terminating resistor is required ( although you can get away without one if the distance is short). 150 ohms for 57.6kb baud rate 82 ohms for baud rates greater then 57.6kb. Edited by Mickey

Thanks for your quick response, Question #1] Sorry for not providing all the necessary information. The program that I downloaded to the SLC504 is an existing program that has been running for a few years. When converted,(for the SLC504) I ran the program verification to ensure that it is OK. So I don't believe it's the code. I'm not at work right now, so I guessed at the the SLC504 OS number, but regardless, it is a SLC504 with a DH+ port. (I can verify the OS # on Monday) What really get's me is that is that I can be online with a comparing program on the 504 in run mode and no faults but coils that should be energized are not energized. Could this be some incompatability with the backplane? (Guessing) Question #2] From memory I believe that the Panelview is a 2711-K5A8. It has an RS232 port and a DH+ port. I set the panelview as Node 2 57.6kb and the PLC channel 1 for DH+ 57.6kb node 1 What I need to know is whether I require the 150 ohm resistor at both ends or just one end? Thanks, neilr216

DH+ requires one termination resistor at each end of a daisy-chain network. If you only have two devices (the SLC and the PanelView) you still need two resistors. 1746 backplanes have been standard items for over 15 years; all SLC family controllers will run in all backplanes. My wild guess is not that the difference in the controllers is a problem, but that there was something done in the original controller that was done just once and saved into memory, and is required for the rest of the program to start running subroutines. Maybe there's a reference to a specific Status register item that exists in SLC-5/03 but not in 5/04 (like something having to do with the DH-485 port).

Ken, You've answered my question about the DH+ - thanks very much for that. As for the controller, I am going to dig into it further and check out what you have suggested. Thanks again, neilr216