Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TConnolly

Rectangular connectors

11 posts in this topic

I need a couple of European style rectangular connectors for an application that will require 80 pins each, mixed discrete and analog, plus I'd like to include a couple of extras. I've looked at the Phoenix connectors and Lapp connectors. I would prefer screw connections but it appears that above abotr 40 pins (varies by manuf) you have no choice but to use crimp pins. What brands have you all used, what did you think? Who was easy to get from for the US?

I have no problem getting Harting style connectors here in the Detroit area. Like the Phoenix and Lapp connectors Harting also has screw style only up to 48 pin after that (92 or 128 pin) Crimp style pins only. Bud

Last time I did a big cable like that (1991), I had 2 Canon plugs with 60 solder points each. It was painful and I would have gladly welcomed crimps! Once it was done, I liked it, but it was a PITA to get it right. At 90+ pins, I'd buy the largest connector with screws and just do 2 cable sets. Harting is my favorite. Besides, you should be isolating the analog from the digital signals, so you'd need 2 cables anyway. Have fun Alaric!

Check out Mencom. They are the US Master Distributor for ILME, which is an Italian brand of product that is interchangeable with Harting. They also are a manufacturer in their own right, making molded cables and connectors. They used to make stuff for Turck before deciding to sell direct. I used to work for a Mencom distributor, and I have always liked working with them. For your app, check out the MIXO, which is a series of rectangular connectors with mix-and-match inserts that include various sizes of wire, as well as pneumatic fittings. (They do warn you not to mix pneumatics and electric!).

Hard shell rectangular connectors are built by many companies (harting, ilme, wieland, lapp, etc.) and they are interchangeable. This was something I was also looking for (multi pole screw tb), but the largest insert with screw type connections seem to be only 24-pole. The 48-pole configuration is available but this is just larger hood and base using two 24-pole insterts. If you have room, you may consider this. As you are aware, high density inserts are available but they are crimp type. Soldering can be real PITA so I would not go for solder type on anything with more than 6-7 pins. Not sure why they don't make screw type high density inserts. It is easy to do (at least on the 4-row versions).

The ILME line from Mencom includes 40-pole and 64-pole screw terminal inserts.

yes but they have huge terminal block, i don't see hood that will fit any of them so it looks like field side will still have to be crimped. am i missing something?

I've looked through the catalog, and you are correct, Panic, no hoods for those monster terminal blocks. Still, half-way there is better than nothing. The crimp inserts will plug into the screw-terminal inserts. If I were still working for a distributor, and a customer posed that question, I would call Mencom and ask about a custom assembly for the field-side, pre-crimped. They've done stuff like that for me before.

it should be simple and easy to make compact insert similar to 24-pole (where screws are on opposite side) that still fits standard hood.

Dunno. Maybe there's a problem with space that we're not seeing?

i would say there is more than plenty of space. just see how much space is in M8 field attachable connector. crimping is fine for one time kind of job but if on site repair or troubleshooting is required, removable connections are much nicer (screw or spring cage). i'm not quite sure what criteria they focus on. maybe they are simply not aware of interest in something like this. it would be nice to have multi pole connector with few higher rated poles (10-16A) and bigger bunch of smaller ones (rated 1-5A). so far everything i could find in this configuration is only crimp or solder...