Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Agrajag

Industrial Laptop

15 posts in this topic

Hello, What do you think would be needed to create the ultimate industrial laptop? Please reference software and/or hardware. Are there any tweaks that can be made to windows to make it interface with industrial equipment more effectively (and yes, taking something from malfunctional to functional is more effective)? I'm especially interested in low cost items and software settings. Regards, Agrajag

Have a look at the Panasonic toughbook series as a starting point from a hardware point of view. Only negative point is weight. I also have experience of Dell ATG series, in my experience not that much better than a 'normal' laptop.

you need to define both ultimate and low cost. ultimate as high performance or ultimate as rugged (or good looks etc.)? low cost as under $1k or low cost as under $3k?

Good point, I suppose I'm really after two things: - The ideal money-is-no-object config AND - Suggestions to improve any laptop for industrial use that are cheap. I've read that the serial port can be configured to communicate to avoid issues with legacy software and equipment. Our shop currently maintains a bunch of older laptops because they have had problems using newer laptops. Thanks -Agrajag

i like the Dell D8xx series (like D830 for example) or the M4300. Later one can be had with faster cpu, graphic card etc. both have true RS232 port which I find less and less essential but I still run into situation where it's worth every penny. as for lowe cost solutions i's consider used machines like D800, D810 (or D600 range).

Work switched us all to HP laptops, from Toshiba. And after the support I got on my last attempted order from Dell, they're off the list for good. HP Compaq nc8430. Tough, fast machine so far (1 year in) and has a real serial port.

I am inclined to think that the ultimate system would be large - fast USB drives that held all needed development software and cheap disposable hardware that if need be could be replaced every month or two. We are getting close to this with the low end 'web' machines but the screens are too small. The other way would be to just plug your USB portable drive in the HMI, do your troubleshooting or programming, now don't forget the USB device when you are done.

No cost - I'd go Panny Toughbook. Improvement suggestions - "real" serial port, and the use of virtual machines so that you can support different operating system and programming tool/HMI versions. My preference for a laptop as of now is still 4 gigs of RAM and a 32 bit OS. My dream virtual server, on the other hand,...

You folks are talking about "true" and "real" serial ports. I know that it is getting harder and harder to find laptops with serial ports and that USB to serial adapters have problems. Do you simply mean a 9pin serial port or is there more to it? Why don't the USB adapters work? I vaguely recall encountering a tech note that outlined a method to get real-time comm on a serial port because windows has a nasty habit of chopping it up due to priorities. Is this an issue with PC/laptop serial ports?

What I want is a trackball. The nipple or touchpad are nearly worthless for anything, and especially cad work or HMI layout. I carry an external trackball and mouse for where I can use them...

Yes, real serial port 9 pin nothing else to it. USB to Serial Adapters; Problem is timing issues. The "Keyspan" and "Aten" brands do work. http://www.plctrainer.net/ http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.p...yerid=subClass7 Edited by Mickey

Yeah - I know it has taken me a while - just sorted out some good stuff - for me at least. Dell Vostro, 17" WUXGA screen (1920 x 1280 I think - it is WOW!!!), T9300 Core Duo, 4 gig RAM, 350 gig SATA hard drive, Vista Business, nVidia 256 meg video card, Virtual Box with XP-Pro inside for legacy stuff (did not even try compatability mode), Adam 4561 USB/RS232/422/485 converter, Omron software (has been fully compatable with Vista for about 18 months, unlike most others). Goes like a rocket. Few things Turn off UAC - software will probably not run otherwise, turn off firewall - use NOD32 all in one solution, turn off Windows Defender - use Spyware Doctor. The Adam 4561 I have just tried on a job in far north Queensland. It isd powered by the USB port and is isolated. Connection to the comms lines is by a terminal block - one of the comms methods is available - easy to buy extra terminal block plug ins at your local Farnell or other electronics all in one supplier to wire up all your serial comms cables individually. The job involved 5 x old Omron C200HS PLCs - crancky with many USB/serial converters - 2 new CS1 PLCs on Ethernet - Citect SCADA system - used FINS Gateway for the SCADA and set up the 2 new PLCs on Ethernet and the 5 older PLCs on RS422 through the Adam 4561 - plugged it in and it worked straight away. The only issue I had is that if I wished to connect to the older PLCs via RS422 I had to turn off the serial CPU in FINS Gateway as CX-Programmer reported the comms port in use by another application. It is not possible to connect to the older PLCs via FINS Gateway but it is possible with the CS1, CJ1 and CP1 - you can then run the SCADA and CX-P at the same time. By the way, I did get caught up in the bad nVidia chip nonsense and had the mother board fry, as did many Dell and HP/Compaq customers. Took a few attempts at fixing it (6) until Dell bit the bullet and supplied a complete new laptop.

Awesome advice. I know we here at my plant have had a lot of success using a product called SMART CABLE that is meant to intelligently match any RS 232 configuration to any other one. This can save a lot of hassle. Any experience with this product? I'm considering trying to set up one laptop with DOS, win 98, win 2k, and win xp to run all sorts of current and legacy apps. Does anyone know if modern laptops running DOS are likely to have any problems running and communicating with legacy equipment???

You can basically run any operating system inside Virtual Box - XP-Pro, Win 98, Win 95, NT, Linux etc. Probably DOS too but I am not sure how you would go. The biggest problem you will probably have is getting drivers for modern gear that will run on the old operating systems. There is also compatability mode that enables you to run some programs - had good luck with GE-Fanuc LM90 when I sorted out a few issues with graphics rendering inside Win 2000. I have had some luck running DOS stuff in a DOS box with Win 2000 but that was a long time ago. I would suggest you go to www.sun.com and have a look at Virtual Box - it is free. Also have a good look at all the instructions - a bit daunting to set up at first. There is good advice on the site as to what you can achieve, may achieve and probably cannot achieve. Worth a look. Do not know the cable you speak of though. It is highly likely that there would be a problem with modern laptops in that you will not get drivers for the older operating systems for the equipment in modern laptops. The laptop may also run too fast. Remember, DOS could only access 640k RAM and a bit more with 'fiddles'. 95 and 98 were only marginally better if any - too far back to remember. Vitrual Box may help there as it runs operating systems inside Vista/XP Pro etc. A couple of guys on another site had Siemens software running OK inside virtual Box with XP Pro installed in Virtual Box. Edited by BobB

Toshiba has a new laptop A11 series. Seems to up our alley. About $1,000. Not a bad deal. Tecra A11-S3530 http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/tecra/A11/A11-S3530 Windows XP Pro Dedicated video Card. Serial Port Surprised they made this series.