Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kiwi Nate

Why cant my computer boot from a XP OEM disc!

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have bought a (supposed) genuine copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM off ebay. It came as brand new with an included damaged hard drive (to meet seller agreement), in sealed packaging, with holographic disc (cleary marked XP Pro incuding SP2), COA sticker, and small manual. I have changed my boot order in Bios to CD first, then HDD second. I have proved the CD rom drive works as I have a another bootable OS disc that had the press any key to boot from cd message when I tried it just before. So that rules out BIOS and the CD Rom drive Ok, so weird, the other issue with this disc is when the computer is up and running, I run it from the CD drive it appears to be a microsoft office pro 2003 disc, as it runs the office 2003 pro set up wizard. So weird, have I bought a clever copy of something that isn't what it says it is? Totally confused I can post pictures of the disc and COA if anyone is interested. Any thoughts or comments appreciated. Nathan

Sounds to me you have been sold a fraud copy. If it contains office 2003, legal or not, it does explain why it doesn't boot as office 2003 is not a bootable cd.

Ok, yet it is such a good version if it is, I mean the disc has no burn marks that you normally see on burnt pirated copies, also it has the full (incredibly genuine looking) holographic treatment on the face. Also has the full colour glossy paged get started book. I'm just having a very hard time believing its fraudulant... I'm going to e-mail microsoft the COA product key and see what they say. I'll post back when I know. If anyone else should think their is another solution please let me know... NP edit: While I was on the MS website I did the camparison check of my media and COA sticker with their interactive online process. They passed with flying colours, every security feature matches the shown pictures and animations with high accuracey. A genuine copy or impressive fake. edit2: I'm wondering if I have to download the bootable set up discs from MS. They are only available up to XP SP2 which seems consistent with my problems so far. I'm gonna try that. Edited by Kiwi Nate

Just curous but was office 2003 the last microsoft product you installed on the OS.

Hello Bob, The last MS product installed was office 2007 enterprise.

Interesting reply from the e bay seller today Anyway got my money back, and a genuine unused office 2003 pro disc with COA and licence if anyones interested. $50+postage ha ha Thanks to all those that assisted with your replies