Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hmiman

Online Names in RSLinx

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I am trying to clean up a rather messy RSLinx configuration, but need to assign names to the devices in order to have them make sense. I have found that naming a device in RSLogix 5000 I/O configuration is only recognised in the RSLogix project. Assigning a name through RSLinx Enterprise seems to only be visible inside of that RSLinx Enterprise configuration. Is there any way to download the assigned name to a card and have that name be visible to any other computer browsing to that card? I want to have a tree make more sense than the current attached configuration. Saving the names to a specific Linx config and propagating that through the plant can also work. I just want faultfinding staff to be able to browse to cards without actually knowing IP addresses or slot numbers for DH+ cards. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

While not exactly what you are looking for, since your screen capture shows Ethernet devices you may try this. In the Ethernet Devices driver in RsLinx, when configuring your IP Addresses, put a space afer the address then a description. This will show up in RsLinx but would have to be done on every computer

Thanks TWControls, Being able to name Ethernet Devices would be a good start. Your solution does not seems to work on my Linx. Whatever text I type after the IP address gets rejected. Is there a special seperation character? I do however have the same problem when browsing the backplane to a rack full of DHRIO cards, they just all say that they are DHRIO cards. I would love to be able to download a name to the card according to what network the card belongs to. Similar to the names downloaded to the controller, browsed from anywhere you know what the controller is called. I am sure that what I want to do is entirely possible, why else would there be an "Online Name" field in the device? Even Rockwell support is having a hard time coming up with an answer to my problem. Thanks

You know, I've seen that tip before, but every time I try it, I end up with two of the same machine in my list. (One with the description, one without.) Is there anyway to prevent this?

No special separator character needed Probably need to delete the harmony files...or you might just simply delete the device in RsLinx that doesn't have the description. If it comes back after delete, you need to do the harmony files

Just got a call back from Rockwell. Apparently it is not possible. They went to all the effort of adding the name field, but never made functionality to edit it. How hard would it be to write a name to the device while you are flashing it? I will try and shovel some coal under Rockwell's butt. I cannot be the only person who wants to name their devices. How does the description of an Ethernet device work?

It looks like this

TWControls, Your solution would make me a happy man. Problem is I can't get it to work. As soon as I apply the driver configuration it drops the description. I have tried editing, deleting and recreating and also deleting the driver and the harmony files. It just drops it. Every time. I am using RSLinx Classic Professional v2.54.00.11. What are you using?

I'm using 2.52.00.17. I doubt it would have been taken out. So what happens when you put the description in the configuration? Does it give you an error code or just remove the description when you go to the next cell? I see it in your post, never mind. I don't think it is actually a documented feature so don't think Rockwell can help us Which language are you running. I don't think that would make a difference...I'm reaching at this point

Which files are the harmony files?

Search your computer for harmony.hrc and harmony.rsh

Strange, it is feature that has been dropped. I used an older version (v2.50.00.20) to add the comments and it worked. Clutching at straw, I exported that config to the Linx v2.54.00.11 station and it worked! Thanks for the help, at least now I can see what my Ethernet cards are doing without remembering the IP addresses.

Very strange. Thanks for letting us know what you found

Ok I did some checking and you are correct, that feature was removed to add another Another option would be to make an Ethernet driver for each machine. This is what I did before I knew of this undocumented feature. You could create an Ethernet driver named "Machine A", another named "Machine B", etc.