Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tvaughn

Unable to open files

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone is having trouble opening files on GPP or GX developer after they are burnt on a CD? We have several CD that are full of our plants programs, but I have not been able to open them. I can get to the file, but it will just start opening the resource files instead of the program (I can't get that little green icon) . The only way I can get around this is to zip the files before I burn to CD then save to another computer and unzip it. I was hoping someone knew a way around this as this won't help me with the CD's we already have.

Remove the read only attribute after extracting them from the CD. GX Developer will not open read only files

Thanks navillusi for the reply, but the read only box wasn't checked. I right clicked all the folders main and sub and went to properties to check for this. Is this correct? Do you know of anything else that would cause this?

Are you trying to open the files on the cd-rom directly or do you copy the files from cd-rom to your hard drive first, then open files from hard drive rather than cd-rom direct?

All files on a CD are read only, even if not tagged that way. When you copy files from a read-only device like a CD, Windows automatically tags them as read only. It's a Microsoft 'helpful' that really isn't so. Copy the directory to your hard drive, change the attribute on all of the directories and files, and then open it with GX-Developer. Of course I store all mine in ZIP files for just that reason. I just unzip it to my hard drive and it's ready to roll.

chakorules I copied the files to my hard drive first. When I get to work I will double check the attributes. I did this already, but maybe I missed one. Thanks for the replys

Ok, You said above that you right clicked on the folders main. You also need to selected ALL the indiviual FILES, and right click on the files too to check the read only. Unless you have Windows 2000 or XP, then it will do a recursive, but win98 does not, you have to click propoerties on the folder and the files below it.