Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plcdawg

Standard Panelview to ethernet

17 posts in this topic

Is it possible to connect a standard PV to an ethernet network? The PV has an RS232 port and devicnet connections on it. Thanks.

PanelView Standard terminals do not have interchangeable network modules. If you have a DeviceNet-equipped terminal, the RS-232 port can only be used for upload/download or serial printing. PanelView Plus terminals come with serial and (most of them) Ethernet, and all the other communications are modular. But the older Standards terminals have only the network connection they were built with.

Thanks for the reply Ken. Are you saying that it is impossible to go from my current ethernet switch (which is already communicating with the control logix processor and some remote I/O) to the PV? Thanks.

What are you trying to do? Is the Controllogix also connected to the Devicenet network that the Panelview is on?

I have a control logix PLC with both device net and ethernet cards and networks throughout the plant. I have a PV1000 (devicenet/RS232) with a busted screen that still works. I would like to set this PV up in an office to view system parameters. Unfortunately, the only network nearby is the ethernet part of the system. I am trying to find out if there is a way to connect this PV to the ethernet network. Thanks.

So the screen display works but the touch cells are broken? Still not seeing an economical solution. The only option I'm seeing is a 1788-EN2DN. You can buy an Ethernet Display for a little more

I looked up this device and I think it would do what I want to do. Like you said, it is not very economical. Looks like I'll be buying a new PV. Thanks.

We use the CN2DN units on one of our lines. And the protocol translation does add a delay. Be aware of this if timely response is a concern.

Thanks Bob. I will keep that in mind.

Ken Moore just brought up a solution in another thread that may just work for you. You could use a Data Station with a Devicenet option as a bridge from your existing Ethernet network to your Devicenet Panelview http://www.redlion.net/Products/HumanMachi...tationPlus.html Actually, if it were me and I went this route, I would throw the Panelview away and use the Data Station's web server so that the info is viewable from any computer

Yes and no. You can't get there directly. I'm not 100% sure this is possible with devicenet but at least with DH+, you can connect to it and program it remotely as long as you have some sort of bridge to go to DH+ from Ethernet. You can also use a serial/ethernet converter in the same way.

According to the Data Station manual, the RS422/485 port can be used for Allen Bradley DH485 communications. However, it does not state anything about devicenet. Looks like I'm running out of options. Thanks. Actually, as I dug further into the manual, there is a devicenet card that can be added to the data station. I will continue to research, but we may be onto something here. Thanks.

Yes, Devicenet is achieve with an option card. I've never used Devicenet, let me see if I can find Dan Yost.

Tim is correct, there is a DeviceNet option card that will allow the DSP to be a slave on the DeviceNet network. Regards, Dan

Thanks TW and Dan. I just got a price on the Data Station and the Devicenet card. The cost is almost as much as the 1788-EN2DN. I guess there just is no cost effective way to do this. Looks like I will be either buying a new PV or extending my Devicenet network. Thanks.

Do you need the Panelview? Your trying to view the data in the office right? Could you use the data stations's web server?

Yes, I guess I could view it that way. It would be nice to be able to use the PV inputs also.