Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1747 ASB question

3 posts in this topic

I am converting a plc 5 platform to a slc 5/04 platform on a assembly line. It has four electrical panels about 20' apart each with a rack in it. The rack in my first control panel (local rack) is going to be an A13. I am going to put two RIO Scanners in the last two slots to run down to my ASB modules. The second control panel has a sixteen slot rack in it. I was wondering if I could put a A13 and A4 rack in that control panel and use the normal expansion cable to tie the two together or would it mess up being a remote rack. My RIO scanner card would be in slot 11 of the local rack so if that would work my first Slot in the remote a13 rack should be I:11.0 and last slot would be O:11.11. Then would it go O:11.12 when it jumped to the A4 rack tied to the A13 rack with the normal expansion cable, or will that work because it is a remote rack? I know I could just put another asb in the A4 rack and do it that way but since these two racks were in the same control panel I though I would try normal expansion and save buying an asb adapter thanks. Edited by 8874

Yes, you can do it that way. A 1747-ASB will support up to 30 slots in any combination of I/O chassis connected by bus cables. Your description of the addressing of data inside the 1747-SN for the "linked" chassis is exactly correct.