Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest kentz

CX-Programmer unable to detect com port in winXP

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a friend who have encountered the problem of not being able to detect the com port in CX-Programmer ver 3.2 running on WinXP platform. This problem does not allow us to go online with any PLC using CX-Programmer. We have tried to uninstall and reinstall CX-Programmer back but the problem still remains the same. The serial com port on his labtop is in working order. Can anyone give some enlightenment to this mysterious phenomena? I cant explain why is this so for my friend's case as i have seen other friends using CX-Programmer on winXP and they do not have this problem.

It's working? Are you sure that port is not used by other application?

I dont see any other applications running other than CX-Programmer and the serial port is not connected to other devices. The problem is that, no com port is detected. A winXP error window will pop up when we try to access "network settings"->"drivers" and CX-Programmer will exit by itself. We even try using auto online but it seem that it doesnt scan through the whole list of PLC but only the default PLC type.

In Windows XP, ---> Contol Panel, ----> System, ---> Hardware, ----> Device Manager....Look at Comm Ports Does the Comm Port exist Here????? If it dosen't then how could cx-programmer be expected to talk to it ????

The comm port exists in the windows setting as mentioned but i dont understand why the CX-Programmer just cant detect them

As Panic Mode suggested, I have only seen this when another application is using the port.... such as a PDA, Mobile Phone, etc... Also, is the port a phyical port on the computer or is it a USB to RS232 port....

it is a physical RS232 serial port and not a usb port that uses a convertor to obtain a RS232 port.

This is a known bug in CX Server 1.6. Please upgrade to CX Server 1.7.3.1: CXServer_1731.zip Comm_Port_Missing_in_Win2000_XP.doc

If you have an inbuilt modem disable it. CX-Programmer often picks up the modem, particularly when running in toolbus mode. Disable the modem and you should be able to find your serial port OK.