Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scientific

my step5 v7.2 cannot oline with PLC

8 posts in this topic

I have a step5 v7.2 under XP, I tried to online with PLC, but was failed. Anyone know why? The screen show system message: 0334, what is this meaning?

Hi scientific, Try this link to Siemens it should have your answers: http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/18548070 Edited by Hammy

Siemens said this is because of the windows com port setting problem, I already follow the instruction to make the setting, but the problem still same. Currently I'm using a usb to serial converter for my xp, I thought maybe is the converter problem, so I install the S5 on a PC with a serial com port, after tried still cannot get online. I'm doing a fresh S5 installation on my computer, is it somewhere setting we need to take note? Thanks

What are you using to connect to the PLC? This should be a TTY converter? Is this damaged?

I think no. Because I use this TTY cable on S5 v6.3 got no problem.

Hi scientific, I think you use USB-RS232 converter + RS232-TTY to connect your laptop to PLC. I do in the same way. The main problem is coming from USB converter and drivers. After long searches I have buy one from FTDI company. The converter is OK. The drivers not so good. Also is a problem when you use XP: you must be ADMINISTRATOR. Finally I had change the programing software. New I use PG2000. Maybe is a good option for you. Edited by dekor

In general USB - Serial convertors dont work with S5 under Win XP, OK so there may be one/some that do but in general it is fraught. Versions prior to V7.X S5 wont generally work with Win XP. Its worth remembering that V5/V6 S5 were written for CPM-86, and 'under the hood' there is a CPM-86 emulator, which is the first file to load, S5KXS01X.COM. This is a DOS TSR program which interfaces between the CPM-86 code in the .CMD files that make up the bulk of the S5 program. V7.X are the first version to be native DOS .EXE program files. So this is why S5 is a b***h to get working with OS'es other than that for which it was designed. Edited by Mike Dyble

And since its been obsolete for a long time, I doubt Siemens has any plans to make a good Windows software for those relics. I was floored years ago when I saw Square D actually bother to make Windows software for the Sy/Max. Talk about a dinosaur...