Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Miguel

Communicating problem with Keyence CV-701

3 posts in this topic

Hello! We have created machine vision system by using Keyence CV-701 vision system. Our process is controlled with pc and program language is LabView. Now we are developing system. PC should change program automatically, for example. Problem is that pc and CV-701 don´t communicate. I made cable by using keyence manual (COM->RS232), page 181. I have tried to make communication with HyperTerminal program. All ports, parity and stop bits are right. Is that right, keyence should answer same command back that I have wrote to screen? For example T1 -> keyence answer T1 and has trigged? Now I can´t wrote to screen anything. Can anyone help me? - Miguel

I've used CV-700 series and it worked well. I also had trouble using Hyperterminal. The problem was to enter message in exact format without Hyperterminal "fixing" it (for example change CR to CRLF etc). This is probably what's hunting you unless your cable is not right or if you didn't set the switch correctly on the back of the CV. I was not too interested in making hyperterminal do the job anyway so I made a small program in VB. There are also few things you need to setup (page 175) and make sure that CV is in correct mode. Port settings are on page 180 unless you change baud rate (I had to lower it to 19200 for my VB program). We always buy original cable (just in case) but the much longer home made cables based on pinout provided in CV manual (page 181) worked as well. We simply used RJ45 with some cable and DB9F (no ferites...). Don't forget to add jumpers on the DB9 side (RTS/CTS and the other one is DSR/DCD/DTR) and check if the pins 2 and 3 (TXD and RXD) are swapped (they are oposite on 9pin and 25pin versions). You have to enable RS232 OUT for each measurement to have result sent from CV to PC. But even without this you should be getting replies from CV for commands you type (even if reply is complaint that command was invalid). Note: Do not mess with wiring while power is pressent. Connectors for cameras are just under the terminal strip and in one case slight touch to the terminals (24V power) was enough to send one of the cameras to Japanese vision system heaven. Tiny SMT fuse (3.15A) on the top PCB of the CV was blown as well but CV was otherwise undamaged. Edited by panic mode

Hi I hope this may help you , there is a better way, install a high performace video input card in the PC at least 30 fps it must have a composite video input, then connect it to the yellow video output from the controller to the video input on the pc and use the software from the input card manufacture to look at the image live ot with the trigger I am using this on two applacations and it works great. we are using a Videum input card from www.winnov.com :